PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Busybox problem :(

Rioku
July 6th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ok guys I'm getting sick now... I'v used ubuntu quite abit now... but every time iv used it after a while I always end up getting some issue which I cant be resolved and results in wiping out the installation.

Ubuntu was working fine on my laptop yesterday... and now today I turn it on and go into ubuntu the load screen shows then straight after I get some "busybox" thing which I have no idea about...

I have tried searching but have been unable to fix this issue

can anyone help me out please?

btw its 8.04 and I have installed using wubi

PmDematagoda
July 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Did you update Ubuntu or more specifically, update the kernel before this started happening?

Rioku
July 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Nope I didnt do anything..

Altho I did go into vista late during the night and I defragged. But I dont believe that could have anything to do with it could it?

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Try this: At you GRUB (boot) menu, press "e" on the Ubuntu option you normally boot. Go down to the second line and press "e" again. You should find yourself able to edit a line with "quiet" and "splash" at the end. Remove ONLY those two words. Now, press enter and then press "b". Wait until you see the busybox, and tell us the error messages that appeared right before that.

Totto90
July 6th, 2008, 02:34 PM
It happened with me. Open Windows and run a disk check on the drive where ubuntu is installed. that should fix it if your computer didn't shut down normally. try it.

Rioku
July 6th, 2008, 02:36 PM
I didnt get an error and the busybox thing didnt appear after deleting those that you mentioned. It went straight onto the desktop gui and worked fine.

So thanks allot! :D Great help from a great comunity.

I do however now have a boot time problem.. after deleting those It seems to take about a minute longer to boot... But I can deal with that.

once again thanks!

The reason I defragged was to see and test if battery performance would increase. And... It did! I gained an extra 25 - 30 minutes in vista and I havnt checked ubuntu yet.. waiting to discharge the battery and give it a full charge again... but when I just checked before when it was at 80% I had 2 hours 15 minutes (in ubuntu) and I believe thats allot more than it was before I defragged the HDD

damis648
July 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I didnt get an error and the busybox thing didnt appear after deleting those that you mentioned. It went straight onto the desktop gui and worked fine.

I do however now have a boot time problem.. after deleting those It seems to take about a minute longer to boot... But I can deal with that.

once again thanks!

Wierd... all that does it stop the splash from appearing and shows terminal output. I guess it was just a coincidence?

Rioku
July 6th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Thats strange :S... Well it seems to have done the trick. I must have tried re booting like 6 or 7 times before I came here to post about it.

Soon as I did what you mentioned it seems to have solved this issue :D

exchequer
July 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM

once again thanks!

I had the same problem and the same result after following the instructions damis648 gave. Thanks! :KS