PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless sometimes doesn't connect

reginak
July 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Good morning, everyone. I bought a new Toshiba Satellite A215 laptop and a neighbor installed Ubuntu for me. It came with an Atheros wireless card, and I have a Netgear router. The router works with no encryption. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Meanwhile the old laptop, with Windows XP, always connects, so I am typing this on the old one now. I see from browsing through this forum that lots of people have wireless issues ... could someone walk me through a solution with my particular hardware?

Thanks in advance
Regina

lisati
July 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I have a Toshiba A100 laptop (with Atheros adapter preinstalled) and a Netgear router, sounds like a similar setup to that of the OP. Most of the time the connection is reliable, but occasionally mine disconnects, even though I normally keep the laptop in the same room, within a couple of metres (or is that yards?) of the router.

I haven't figured it out yet myself, but recently noticed that mine seems to disconnect most often when someone is sitting between the various bits of equipment. Baffling....

EDIT: suggestion 1: if you've still got windows on the machine, check out how well it connects. My laptop came with a network diagnostic tool from Toshiba too.
EDIT: Suggestion 2: Get encryption on a.s.a.p.

reginak
July 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
So far, I am VERY UNIMPRESSED with Ubuntu!

I have changed NOTHING, and now the $%^& thing says it wants a "passphrase or encryption key". This is an unsecured connection, it does not require a password. I know I have changed nothing, because I can't figure out HOW to change anything. I go to manual configuration of network settings, I click on "unlock" and enter my password (that rant can wait), click on wireless connection and properties, and everything there is still greyed out.

I love the IDEA of Linux, but I am not loving the reality. This is one of about 4 major problems so far: no incoming e-mail in Evolution, can't figure out how to map the mouse buttons, and when I try to "restart" it doesn't, it hangs up.

This might be fun for geeks who thrive on having bugs to fix, but to me it's just aggravating.

Vadi
July 6th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Check this post in regards to the mouse buttons (click (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5238861&postcount=9)).

In regards to wireless, it looks like that wireless card isn't too ubuntu-friendly unfortunately, yet. But I found these instructions here (click (http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/05/ubuntu-804-enabling-atheros-ar5007-based-wireless/)) where a user on the same laptop confirmed that the instructions worked. Do they help?

And as for the mail, it looks like that was found :)