PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Named pipes and unnamed pipes , what are the differences , when to use it?

sohaikia1
July 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Hi,

I would like to know the differences between '|' and '>', how do they work and in what circumstances should I use them.

Thanks

sdennie
July 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM
The title of your thread is misleading. "|" is pipe and ">" is redirection. The difference is that piping a command means that you are sending its output to another command for processing whereas redirecting the output of a command usually means you are going to create a file with the output of the command. For instance:

du | sort -n > file_usage.txt

That means, "run du, send the output to sort and then send that output to a file called file_usage.txt".

bab1
July 6th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You can also redirect to a device such as a printer as in:
du | sort -n > lpt1

sohaikia1
July 6th, 2008, 09:26 AM
So for example if I type in this command

cat>file1.txt

and file1.txt does not exist , which one will create the file? the shell or the kernel?

sdennie
July 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
So for example if I type in this command

cat>file1.txt

and file1.txt does not exist , which one will create the file? the shell or the kernel?

That particular command has strange properties. "cat > file1.txt" will create a file called file1.txt but, you'll have to type into the terminal to put information into file1.txt and then hit Ctrl-D to save the file (probably after hitting enter).

bab1
July 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
The shell talks to the library of functions (usually in C) to crate the file. The command cat is the "calling" program.

You have to cat something. As in:

cat /etc/fstab > afile.txt

sohaikia1
July 6th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys, that clears most of the confusion that I had. So basically pipes and redirection are shell features right?

bab1
July 6th, 2008, 09:36 AM
yes

try this:
man bash

in a terminal