PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DRM songs on Linux???

chewbacalips
July 6th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Hi. I am absolutely 100% new to Linux systems. I am actually here for one reason. I have 2 songs in WMA format. They are DRM protected, and I do NOT have the license. They were being given away (downloadable) back in 2005 for free, but you had to download the license within a certain time period. I found the music files only one month ago, so there's no way I can get the license.

In trying to find out how to play the songs, I read that some Linux systems will play it without license requirements. Before I try to figure out how to work any Linux system, can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Many thanks.

buntunub
July 6th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I am not too sure about what you have, but DRM + Linux is one huge and very fat NO NO NO NO NO! Kinda rubs all those FOSS hippies the wrong way and all. Good luck with iTunes on Linux!

chewbacalips
July 6th, 2008, 07:52 AM
So what is the story on Linux defeating DRM? I saw some articles about it, but didn't get it 100%.

I am running on Windows XP. Can Linux help me play these songs? They are in WMA format and are DRM protected. When I try to play the songs with Winamp or Windows Media Player, Windows tries to download the License in a new pop-up window, but fails.

Is there any way to get these songs playing without the License? Once I can get them playing, I can convert them one way or another.

buntunub
July 6th, 2008, 09:21 PM
So what is the story on Linux defeating DRM? I saw some articles about it, but didn't get it 100%.

I am running on Windows XP. Can Linux help me play these songs? They are in WMA format and are DRM protected. When I try to play the songs with Winamp or Windows Media Player, Windows tries to download the License in a new pop-up window, but fails.

Is there any way to get these songs playing without the License? Once I can get them playing, I can convert them one way or another.

I think you don't get the whole "FOSS" thing.. Its not an "us" vs. "them" kinda movement at all really, although some take it to be that. Its more like a different philosophy on life kinda thing. Proprietary Software methodologies (and corporations that espouse that business model) believe that their ideas must be locked down tightly and not shared to protect their revenue streams. Its a form of monopolization on an idea. Open Source/FOSS people believe exactly the opposite. IE. that ideas must be shared and open to examination and critical review. They (we) believe that this way, that idea can be expanded upon and improved beyond the scope of growth originally intended or thought of. DRM embodies that whole proprietary/closed source philosophy in the most forceful and anti competitive way, thus, it is absolutely offensive to us. Its consequences have been generally good for the FOSS community however, because it has driven home the WHY of our movement to the masses in a most obvious way. So, long story short, Linux has nothing directly to do with the FOSS movement, other than being the kernel that runs beneath the GNU tools and GUI (GNOME, KDE, etc).

gerben1
July 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM
check this out:
http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=295

Watchtow3r
July 6th, 2008, 09:42 PM
use your favorite file sharing program.

billgoldberg
July 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
use your favorite file sharing program.

That was what I was thinking.

Why go to all that trouble for two songs?

Or download the youtube video as an .mp3.

Frak
July 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I was going to say to use a DRM stripper, but there are legalities in that.

Dr Small
July 6th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I was going to say to use a DRM stripper, but there are legalities in that.
It's legal unless you broadcast it on a public forum, or give support for it ;)

cariboo907
July 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
If you look around in google there are a lot of suggestions on how to do this, but it looks like the easiest way to do this is burn the tracks in question to an audio cd and then rip the cd to the format of your choice.

Jim

chewbacalips
July 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM
The problem I am having is this (here's the full story):

There was an album that got released in 2005. Some official website called 7digital got rights to two non-album songs (these songs were NOT on the album, nor on any other release). They made these 2 songs available for FREE download for a limited time only.

The songs appeared NOWHERE else. If you have a copy of them, it means they were sourced from this site, unless you also have rights to them. Again, they were not released on any other CD, cassette, vinyl, etc. This was the only place to get them.

Anyhow, by the time I found these songs, I had long missed my "limited time only" chance. I was able to still download them, but not the license to play them.

They are encoded as WMA files with DRM encryption. They will not play without the license. If I could get them to play, I could convert them to WAV. I simply cannot get them to play, and they are not available anywhere else.

So p2p programs cannot help me. It's not a matter of "buying the CD" or "downloading from somewhere else," it's a matter of cracking the files so they work.

k3lt01
July 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM
What are the songs and who is the artist?

buntunub
July 6th, 2008, 11:55 PM
If you look around in google there are a lot of suggestions on how to do this, but it looks like the easiest way to do this is burn the tracks in question to an audio cd and then rip the cd to the format of your choice.

Jim

Thats how I do it lol!!

chewbacalips
July 7th, 2008, 04:46 AM
The band is called THE KOOKS and the two songs are "Do You Love Her" and "Belly Love."

Please NOTE that if you try doing a Google search, you will find mp3 versions of both songs. HOWEVER, these mp3s were sourced from the original WMA files. Someone POORLY converted them back when the license was still available, causing dramatic quality loss on both files.

My goal is to get the original WMA files working (I cannot play them because they are DRM encrypted. Once I can play them, I can convert them properly to WAV).

You can still download the WMA files. Can anyone help me achieve my goal???

Here are links to both songs from the original hosting website:

http://www1.7digital.com/downloads/kooks/menu.asp

http://www1.7digital.com/downloads/kooks2/menu.asp

k3lt01
July 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM
This may sound really stupid but have you bothered to contact the site that is hosting the songs for download to see if they will help you out? If, as you say, the songs are not available by any other means it would be worth the companies while to keep giving out licences and therefore giving their musso's airplay.

Worth a try don't you think?

EDIT:
Please NOTE that if you try doing a Google search, you will find mp3 versions of both songs. HOWEVER, these mp3s were sourced from the original WMA files. Someone POORLY converted them back when the license was still available, causing dramatic quality loss on both files.Just had a "look" around and I disagree with you on this. They are available and from what I have read there is no noticeable loss in quality. The problem is they were only ever released in 128kb/s so your downloaded files are most probably going to be of a crappy quality to. Anyway contact the site that hosts them or maybe even the official fan site and see if they can help you out with the licences.

chewbacalips
July 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I did ask them. Even after I explain everything, they just keep saying "we cannot because the license is expired." They basically tell me what I know. It's very frustrating. I also contacted the official fan sites too. NOTHING!

timcredible
July 7th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Can Linux help me play these songs?

no.