PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC media player

Norm24
July 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM
This probably will have an extremely obvious answer.

How do I make VLC the default player?

TeoBigusGeekus
July 5th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Just right click the file with which you want vlc to be associated and select open with vlc. From there on these types of files will be opened with vlc.

sayakb
July 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
System->Preferences->Preferred Applications->Multimedia
Select VLC Media Player, or if not available, select Custom and type in vlc in the box.

silkstone
July 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Will that make VLC the default player for DVD, or do you have to edit /etc/gnome/defaults.list and change totem.desktop to vlc.desktop in the x-content/video entries?

crysys
July 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Will that make VLC the default player for DVD, or do you have to edit /etc/gnome/defaults.list and change totem.desktop to vlc.desktop in the x-content/video entries?

No, it does not. Your suggestion however just scratched a long standing itch of mine. Thank you.

silkstone
July 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks crysys.

So just to confirm...

To make VLC the default DVD player in Hardy, open a Terminal and...

gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list

Press Ctrl+f and search for "x-content/video", then change the "totem.desktop" entries to "vlc.desktop". Save this and exit.

rburkartjo
July 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
silk, though i didnt start this thread tks for the info i was looking for this/cheesemaker

Norm24
July 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks crysys.

So just to confirm...

To make VLC the default DVD player in Hardy, open a Terminal and...

gksudo gedit /etc/gnome/defaults.list

Press Ctrl+f and search for "x-content/video", then change the "totem.desktop" entries to "vlc.desktop". Save this and exit.

That's just what I did.