PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thin, Lightweight Browser

Stargazer989
July 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
my system is kinda tight with RAM so things kinda go slow when i use a browser is really good. so im asking is there a browser that is very thin, can play java applets and has a hide-able border (titlebar, address bar, basically leaves the java applet to float)

scragar
July 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
konqueror is pretty nice, and let's you hide everything short of the status bar and top bar(the one with close, minimise etc on it), so it's a close choice for what you want, however it is designed to use the KDE shared libaries, so it's usage can be a little more excessive than required unless you happen to be running something else using them(it's ram usage is still lower than firefox3 though)

Stargazer989
July 5th, 2008, 07:31 PM
konqueror is pretty nice, and let's you hide everything short of the status bar and top bar(the one with close, minimise etc on it), so it's a close choice for what you want, however it is designed to use the KDE shared libaries, so it's usage can be a little more excessive than required unless you happen to be running something else using them(it's ram usage is still lower than firefox3 though)

it seems i made a mistake: i forgot to list my current browsers

Firefox 3
Opera
Epiphany
Konqueror
Galeon
midbrowser

what i really want to do is take the java applet and remove it from the browser and use it free floating

RiceMonster
July 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
You could try Dillo or Kazehakase. They're both lightweight. Then there's also links2, which is a CLI browser that can be run in X with links2 -g, but I find it doesn't render very well.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Try Dillo: dillo.org

EDIT: Dang! Too slow...

Amanda HazLaPaz
July 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Dillo is good, but I don't recall if it plays embedded Flash or not. Really good for text/images, and it doesn't load the junk.

billgoldberg
July 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Dillo is good, but I don't recall if it plays embedded Flash or not. Really good for text/images, and it doesn't load the junk.

Why use dillo, either go all text or use a browser that displays a website correctly.

nanotube
July 7th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Why use dillo, either go all text or use a browser that displays a website correctly.

because dillo hits a nice sweetspot between the two? :)

steveneddy
July 7th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Why don't you load fluxbox and log into flux instead of gnome.

Then run FF from there.

This is what I do and the performance is astounding!