PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do i us ubntu

Billy_98
July 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
ok so i hav a windows vista cuz i realy dont like xp and i want to install ubntu cuz a friend recomended but i downloaded and its a strange file i think its a virus can someone check ubntu is a virus plz???????????????????????????

Dr Small
July 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ubuntu is not a virus. It is a way of life, an Operating System. You must burn the .iso as an image to a CD, then boot from the CD.

justin whitaker
July 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM
ok so i hav a windows vista cuz i realy dont like xp and i want to install ubntu cuz a friend recomended but i downloaded and its a strange file i think its a virus can someone check ubntu is a virus plz???????????????????????????

Ubuntu is a virus. I cannot be stopped, and there is no cure. :)

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
If this is a joke, it is really pretty silly!

Billy_98
July 5th, 2008, 06:21 PM
ok then how do i us ubntu cuz its a blank file it rly seems a virus can someone who does not work for ubntu plz tell me that ubntu is not a virus my email address is plz respond fast.

EDIT: Email removed to protect privacy.

Billy : posting your email like that invites spam. In addition these are forums, so you ask questions, the community responds here.

Elfy
July 5th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I don't work for ubuntu and at a quick guess I'd say there were thousands of people here who don't either

ubuntu is not a virus

ypou need to burn the file as an image and then boot with it - as DR Small has said

bobbob1016
July 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Ok, first off, where did you download it from? If you got it from ubuntu.com, and it gave you a .iso file, it isn't a virus. You need a program to burn .iso files, on windows I use http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm download the v3, it's for Vista.

Second, I do want you to know, Ubuntu is an operating system, and installing it can possibly format your hard drive, unless you know what you're doing. I would suggest using the LiveCD, until you are familiar with how it works. Or you could install it with Wubi, when you put the CD in with Vista running, it should be an option.

Lastly, please use punctuation and spelling if you can, it makes it much easier to read, and much less of a headache. (Sorry if this is against the rules of the forum to say, I asked someone on the IRC channel the same thing, and I got mixed replies)

Dr Small
July 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM
ok then how do i us ubntu cuz its a blank file it rly seems a virus can someone who does not work for ubntu plz tell me that ubntu is not a virus my email address is billy_546@hotmail.com plz respond fast.
What is "ubntu", "cuz", "rly", and "plz"?
None of us work for Ubuntu, some of us (or most) use it.

Ubuntu is not a virus. I don't know how that got into your head. Also, this is a forum, so we generally discourage responding by email.

justin whitaker
July 5th, 2008, 06:27 PM
ok then how do i us ubntu cuz its a blank file it rly seems a virus can someone who does not work for ubntu plz tell me that ubntu is not a virus my email address is billy_546@hotmail.com plz respond fast.

It should not be a blank file. It should be an .iso, which you can then use Nero or some other CD burner to burn to a disk.

I would say you got a bad download. It's not a virus.

Also, if you don't know what you are doing at this point, I suggest you read up a bit before making the change.

Vista and Ubuntu are very different.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM

You shouldn't be using it in the first place.

gardara
July 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I think the username explains it all... Billy_98
Probably born in '98

damis648
I think the username explains it all... Billy_98
Probably born in '98

:popcorn:

Billy_98
ok but i doubl click ubntu file and tells me that it cant open cuz generally files are opened automaticaly but no ubntu so how do i us ubntu plz help me

Dr Small
July 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
ok but i doubl click ubntu file and tells me that it cant open cuz generally files are opened automaticaly but no ubntu so how do i us ubntu plz help me
Please go back and read post #2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5325241&postcount=2

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Again. This is a forum of people that try to communicate support and ideas... it would make it alot easier to communicate help if your writing was actually legible and understandable. Now what you must know is that
UBUNTU IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM. If you do not know what that is, do not mess with it. Do some research on Linux and burning ISOs, and come back later.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

philinux
July 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
You need to do some reading and follow the links.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

or

http://wubi-installer.org/

bobbob1016
July 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM
We are helping you, you aren't reading what we say, or you are posting this as a joke.

Ok, first off, where did you download it from? If you got it from ubuntu.com, and it gave you a .iso file, it isn't a virus. You need a program to burn .iso files, on windows I use http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm download the v3, it's for Vista.

Second, I do want you to know, Ubuntu is an operating system, and installing it can possibly format your hard drive, unless you know what you're doing. I would suggest using the LiveCD, until you are familiar with how it works. Or you could install it with Wubi, when you put the CD in with Vista running, it should be an option.

Lastly, please use punctuation and spelling if you can, it makes it much easier to read, and much less of a headache. (Sorry if this is against the rules of the forum to say, I asked someone on the IRC channel the same thing, and I got mixed replies)

Read my first quoted paragraph, I gave you the program you need to install to get it working. PLEASE use punctuation.

As in don't type "ok but i doubl click ubntu file and tells me that it cant open cuz generally files are opened automaticaly but no ubntu so how do i us ubntu plz help me" but do type "Ok, but I double click the Ubuntu file and it tells me that it can't open it. Because files are generally opened automatically, but not the Ubuntu file. So how do I use Ubuntu? Please help me."

justin whitaker
July 5th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I was going to say that, but I usually hate that sort of response because it comes off as elitist. But there are cases when it should be said, and I think this is one of them.

Billy: dnt uz ubunto. rly. iz difficlt fer noobz. :)

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I was going to say that, but I usually hate that sort of response because it comes off as elitist. But there are cases when it should be said, and I think this is one of them.

Yes, I am usually not trying to sound mean, but trying convey that some research SHOULD be done. Do not go crying for help immediately.

bobbob1016
July 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM

There is a difference between elitist and trying to make sure he doesn't mess anything up. I think it's safe to say he isn't that old, and this might be a parent's computer, and he could do damage. I think he also might not know what Ubuntu is from what I can understand of his posts. As in he thinks it's a program, not an OS.

gameryoshi600
July 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Ubuntu is an operating system. You should do some research about Linux then come back for help.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ubuntu is an operating system. You should do some research about Linux then come back for help.

Ahem, post 15. :popcorn::popcorn:

steveneddy
July 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM

That is probably the best advise he has received on this thread.

Ubuntu is not a file that you click on to work.

Ubuntu is an Operating System, much like Mac and Windows are Operating Systems.

Ubuntu is also a way of life.

Ubuntu is very powerful, and if you don't know much about computers, you may want to stay away from this for a while.

Ubuntu requires that you know a little about Operating Systems, partitioning your hard drive, basic to moderately advanced computer terms. You should know your way around your desktop on windows, like how to browse for a file or folder, and how to burn to CD a specific type of file.

Ubuntu comes in a file named with a .iso at the end. You open up a CD burning application and direct this application to burn a CD image.

Leave the CD in the CD drive after you burn this .iso image and restart your PC.

If this seems too advanced for you, please study the terms named above and don't hesitate to ask questions.

It would be extremely helpful if you could write your posts in plain English so we could fully understand what you are trying to communicate to us and to please use proper punctuation.

Separate each sentance with a double space, which means after you finish a thought, hit the enter key twice.

Got it Cowboy?

the8thstar
July 5th, 2008, 06:45 PM
This is hilarious. :)

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM
This is hilarious. :)

I almost choked with laughter at his English.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM

Wait... English??

Marshal0505
July 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Wait... English??

imagine that in a command line.

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Wait... English??
Yeah I screwed it.
It is Enlsh

Elfy
July 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Perhaps leave the lad/girl alone now - I think there's enough help for her/him.

It is a bit amusing though ;)

phoenix_abhi
July 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Ubuntu is big Virus, but nothing compared to VISTA or XP. Ubuntu is not destroy or kick on ur *** like Microsoft Windows does

Norm24
July 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM
It is a bit amusing though ;)

I was thinking the same thing.

Tomatz
July 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM

Its a joke!

Look at the username...

....billy (gates) 98 (win 98 ) *sigh*

What a pleb!

kaldor
July 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
The real truth:

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

Eisenwinter
July 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Ata khatikhat maniak, ma ata medaber kakha le anashim? Ve imm anglit zo lo ha sapha ha rishona shello?

I bet you didn't understand one thing I said there, so I'm going to laugh at you because you can't speak that language.

What if his first language is not English? What if he comes from a country like Malaysia or Thailand? Think before you judge people.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Its a joke!

Look at the username...

....billy (gates) 98 (win 98 ) *sigh*

What a pleb!

Well it is a pretty creative joke if it was one...

Marshal0505
July 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
The real truth:

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

Too subtle for my taste
+1 for effort though

Tomatz
July 5th, 2008, 07:04 PM
The real truth:

HaHa

That made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lolflag:

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Ata khatikhat maniak, ma ata medaber kakha le anashim? Ve imm anglit zo lo ha sapha ha rishona shello?

I bet you didn't understand one thing I said there, so I'm going to laugh at you because you can't speak that language.

What if his first language is not English? What if he comes from a country like Malaysia or Thailand? Think before you judge people.

I am thinking this is just standard chat shortcutting. This is hardly understandable, though.

Tomatz
July 5th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Well it is a pretty creative joke if it was one...

Jesus!

If you had the sense of humor of the cookie monster!

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
The real truth:

From this website originally: http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html
Can be found in other threads on this forum.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Jesus!

If you had the sense of humor of the cookie monster!

:popcorn::lolflag:

kansasnoob
July 5th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't think we should be so **** sure and exclusive.

Why not just suggest ordering a Live CD, say from:

http://www.linuxcdshop.com/

That's how I started!

Then since (s)he's already running Vista we could include a simple tutorial:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm

If we're being played that's fine, but what if we're not?

I've found the beauty of this forum to be the ability to ask even the stupidest question and get a reasonable response.

The op could suffer from dyslexia or maybe the "98" means they're 98 .......... for pi$$ sake lets be better than Microsoft's customer service!

Canis familiaris

I guess you are right.
BTW What did that mean?

Eisenwinter
I am thinking this is just standard chat shortcutting. This is hardly understandable, though.
I agree with that, I can't stand those things like "plz, u, r, y" etc, but there's a difference between asking a person to "Please use more understandable language", than going on laughing at them.

Just like many people on IRC say about people who laugh at Malaysian's English, for example: They can speak English, far better than you can speak Malaysian.

;)

Elfy
July 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
98" means they're 98 I'd be more likely to believe 1998 and being 10 years old,

Eisenwinter
July 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I guess you are right.
BTW What did that mean?
It means "You are kind of a jerk, why are you talking to people like that? And what if English is not his first language?".

NOTE: This is not intended to start a fight, I'm just saying what I feel about the subject, being a non-native English speaker myself.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I'd be more likely to believe 1998 and being 10 years old,

I would agree. As my final response to the OP, do some reasearch. Learn to understand what an operating system is, and how linux and Ubuntu work. Look up ISOs, and how to burn them. Learn about booting from the CD drive, and using the liveCD. Understand partitioning, and make sure not to screw up the computer you are using. Do not expect us to tell you everything you need to do, know it for yourself, or you will never get anywhere.

--Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime.

kansasnoob
July 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'd be more likely to believe 1998 and being 10 years old,

Hey, I'm not terribly old, only 56, but due to illness/disability I can't drive. So I rely on volunteers to drive me around. In return I try to provide limited amateur IT services to seniors that would otherwise have no computers!

The point is we don't know! What does kindness cost?

So what if we're being played?

steveneddy
July 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Wonder when we'll hear back from the OP?

Eisenwinter
July 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Wonder when we'll hear back from the OP?
I put my bet on either never, or a few months from now ;)

kansasnoob
July 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
It means "You are kind of a jerk, why are you talking to people like that? And what if English is not his first language?".

NOTE: This is not intended to start a fight, I'm just saying what I feel about the subject, being a non-native English speaker myself.

Thank you! Many of the seniors I work with are "first gen" Americans and they speak such broken English I can hardly understand them .............. but they've done something I was too lazy to even try! They learned a second language!

We shouldn't jump to conclusions!

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 07:26 PM

English is not my first languge either, I never thought I'll hurt people feelings. I Apologise
But somehow it seemed not an inability but plain laziness or delibrate attempt.
You taught me a lesson somehow!O:)

waspbr
July 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Stop Feeding The Troll!!!

kansasnoob
July 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I put my bet on either never, or a few months from now ;)

I'd say never ................ and if we were being played now the op can show this thread to lots of folks pointing out what a bunch of exclusive jerks we are!

Reminds me (slightly) of how I was treated at other forums when I was trying to learn Linux, and I started with Freespire and gOS.

Sad display IMHO.

damis648
July 5th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'd say never ................ and if we were being played now the op can show this thread to lots of folks pointing out what a bunch of exclusive jerks we are!

Reminds me (slightly) of how I was treated at other forums when I was trying to learn Linux, and I started with Freespire and gOS.

Sad display IMHO.

It is. I feel bad now. But believe me, I have had worse at other forums.

LaRoza
July 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I see this isn't a support thread anymore (if it ever was...)

bodhi.zazen
July 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I see this isn't a support thread anymore (if it ever was...)

+1 LaRoza

Please be kind to new users, Billy has a legitimate question re the integrity of his download and how to install Ubuntu. His response "It might be a virus" is appropriate to his native OS, he might well have a virus.

So please lets teach, not mock, new users.

Billy See these links :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/switching/