PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New to Ubuntu? Discussion...

ugm6hr
May 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
This is a thread for comments and discussions about the Sticky: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801404

If you have any comments on the advice there, or have a new post you think would be helpful - post it here.

I'll try and update the main thread every week with new useful comments.

But please don't post specific requests for help here
You'll get a better response by posting a new thread.

mikeinrichmond
May 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Thanks for all the great info in one place! Really helps an enthusiatic Vista refugee noob like myself. Great work!

vladi11
May 16th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yes. Very very very useful! :)
It'll be a part two ? :D

ugm6hr
May 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM
[Former first post of the thread]

sharks
May 21st, 2008, 06:17 AM
To know all commands in Terminal, press tab twice in terminal.

Exsecrabilus
May 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM
All the posts you are making is kinda confusing, why don't you just put all that into one post?:-k

ugm6hr
May 21st, 2008, 06:24 PM
All the posts you are making is kinda confusing, why don't you just put all that into one post?:-k

Good question.

All the links are actually available from the 1st post. Try them.

I was trying not to flood the first post with over 20 links, which would merely serve to confuse more.

kazoo boy
May 22nd, 2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the posts, it's nice to have a bunch of good links in one place.

kansasnoob
May 25th, 2008, 02:17 AM
UGM6HR,

While looking for something else at HowtoForge I stumbled upon this tutorial:

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-ubuntu-8.04-lts-hardy-heron

Just wondered if you think it's worth adding to the list for noobs like me.

I actually started out with gOS a few months ago (that and Freespire were my intros to Ubuntu) and their tutorial on the perfect gOS desktop helped me a lot in so far as just learning the basics.

Don't laugh! It doesn't matter how you find Ubuntu ............ only that you have :)

yodna
May 26th, 2008, 03:42 AM
im a windows user for a very long time...then, and now i was. hello ubuntu - already installed 8.04 release and this really interesting. all i can say for now is... wow! its amaizing!

yodna
May 26th, 2008, 03:50 AM
hello linux world. glad im here. thanks

c1ue1ess
May 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Me too,I had to install it about 5 times, before I realised how to set a root partition! man I'm slow

Joeb454
May 26th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Me too,I had to install it about 5 times, before I realised how to set a root partition! man I'm slow

That's what guided partitioning is for ;)

billgoldberg
May 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I feel it's time for a shameless mentioning of my blog.

Can be found in my signature.

ZabiGG
May 28th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Hey! I thought I was the shameless troll! lol

Here's another Newbie 101 link on searching the forums and getting better help

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=796449

Z.

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM
im a windows user for a very long time...then, and now i was. hello ubuntu - already installed 8.04 release and this really interesting. all i can say for now is... wow! its amaizing!

Ahh. Darn good to see new people entering Ubuntu:) Well howdy. Look at me! I'm eleven, started to use Ubuntu last week, and already, I've spread the spirit of Ubuntu to near 'n' dear. I had been using that darned Windows OS for my whole life! Now would ya' imagine that! Anyway whether you're familiar with Linux or not, I'm pretty sure you're gonna like Ubuntu and adapt to it like you've been using it you're whole life.

Congrats and welcome aboard to the fastest, least ignorant, cost-free world class cruise liner of technology! It even has a fridge forum!:popcorn:
Armageddon

Joeb454
May 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
The fridge forum is a Linux e-zine from what I recall :)

Also I think the last couple of posts (mine included) don't really belong in this thread (re-read the bottom part of the original post ;))

Patussay
June 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
hello everyone :), i'm totally new around here :P
by now i'm having fun finding apps and reading about this a bit more... and trying get to work those visual effects :P, sweet os btw.

ranger_cole
June 5th, 2008, 01:54 PM
In the guide when I click:
Disks, Partitioning and Formatting I get the following:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/office/C/

I think the that is the wrong link.

forestpixie
June 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM
You need to make a new thread - this isn't really for requests for help :)

sharks
June 7th, 2008, 03:25 AM
For instant logout press ctrl+alt+backspace.

T2manner
June 7th, 2008, 03:56 AM
i think the ctrl+alt+backspace restarts the X Server, but it also logs you out.
i may be wrong.

anyway thanks for the post
very useful!

Bubba64
June 7th, 2008, 04:00 AM
i think the ctrl+alt+backspace restarts the X Server, but it also logs you out.
i may be wrong.

anyway thanks for the post
very useful!

Correct also this allows you to run any other desktops you have installed like xubuntu for me.

sharks
June 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
very very useful ubuntu link:

http://www3.telus.net/lordfoul/pics/useful%20ubuntu%20links/useful%20unbuntu%20links.html

gameryoshi600
June 8th, 2008, 02:30 PM
very useful.

Skorzen
June 8th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Yes. Just organize better the information.

s3r4phim
June 9th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Hello, all!

New to Ubuntu, after a year of Gentoo.

I knew at once i preferred this OS to my previous one, given the difference in time taken to install.

It took me a week of compiling kernels, partitioning disks, unmasking portage packages, switching desktop environments, and 20 hour days to get it installed, and even after that, there was a new problem to fix every week.

With Ubuntu, i booted the live CD, hit "install", and was shell scripting within the hour. I don't care how much some geeks like for everything to be difficult, i prefer the occasional amount of efficiency. For anybody new to Linux or in need of no-nonsense computer usage, this is the way to go.

P.S.

Yes, ctrl+alt+backspace shuts down the X server, but annoyingly, it restarts it immediately afterward. For those wanting a command line to begin with, and then the option of choosing the desktop environment that they want afterward, do simply the following:

mv /etc/rc3.d/S30gdm /etc/rc3.d/K80gdm
mv /etc/rc3.d/S10xserver-xorg-input-wacom /etc/rc3.d/K80xserver-xorg-input-wacom

simply reverse (switch the two arguments around) the commands to make it start GNOME automatically again.

soluckytouselinux
June 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM
hi. thanks for the 411 for geezer newbies like me. down with microsoft. long live ubuntu!!!!:cool:

Makhi
June 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hi, i'm new to Ubuntu. Installed it on tuesday, Its the best Linux distro i've ever tried (well thanks to all the how-to's). I must say with the other Distros' it is harder to find help than it is with this one. In the few days that i have been using it, i managed to install wine, to get Lotus notes running on it, and get pass our proxy server(legally) which is all i needed to convert from wind~. I've tried 4 different flavors unsuccessfully b4 running to mac since it was based on unix too. So I must thank all those who take their time to write Ubuntu Wiki's and How-to's. U have brought light to where there was none.

thanks

Trav1s
June 13th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Another new one here... been messing with ubuntu since I downloaded a live CD image of 7.04 a year ago. I built my first machine in 1993 and have pieced boxes together since then.
In 2005, during grad school I picked up a 12" 1.33 ghz iBook G4 and loved it but still had PC's around. I do OK configuring software but I am more of build-your-own hardware person than learn software. What I know of Windoze is a result trouble-shooting many different machines.

After reading on some other forums, I decided to give Ubuntu a try. After I move next month, I want to set up an Ubuntu fileserver on my home network and run a regular back-up to it. Currently, I have Hardy dual-booted with XP Pro installed on my old Toshiba laptop 1.0 Ghz, an old Athlon XP 2 GHz machine and our everyday Athlon 64 3200 mhz oc'd to 3450 mhz.

Thanks for the resources and time that you all put into the forum. :D

Travis

gaca
June 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hi, Im actually downloading Ubuntu right now, I've been a Windows user for years, since 1998 i guess. Vista came out, i Upgraded to it, than downgraded to xp, than up again, than down again, so Im fedup. I wanna try Ubuntu, i've heard i'ts the best Linux out there. I'll probably like it, because i've seen it how it works and all that, I just hope that i'll be able to install programs such as: Adobe Products, Sonar, Reason 4, etc.
Nice to meet Ubuntu
:)

sydbat
June 16th, 2008, 08:49 PM
New-ish to Ubuntu. Started with 7.10. Now 8.04 (2 boxes - one 64, one 32). Like it much better than Fedora and XP. After the Vista debacle, I decided XP would be the last M$ product.

On a funny (sic) note - Getting into these boards I read the overarching announcement about "bad commands". With Windoz, you have a gazillion people writing viruses to mess with M$. With Linux you have to rely on pebkac to do your dirty work.

geezerone
June 17th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Perform a disk check when running the live CD to check for errors. Sometimes the installation can hang so try again. If you have a different DVD/CD reader try that too.

Are you running with the standard partitioning (use entire disk) or tailoring it?

HTH

Elephex
June 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Awesome, thanks so much!

~Elephex

HyperDriven
June 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks for this - will get reading. I want to know as much as possible before the 'switch' :)

softwarekiller
June 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM
First post from new member.. Thanks for all of this great info. I can't wait to get started.

Joeb454
June 20th, 2008, 11:10 PM
First post from new member.. Thanks for all of this great info. I can't wait to get started.

Your avatar is scary...is it for killing software?

kriddique
June 22nd, 2008, 05:37 PM
I have tried to dip my toes in the Linux waters a couple of times but Ubuntu gives me plenty of GUI familiarity to keep me running my daily tasks while diving into the terminal commands! I'll be taking advantage of this great community to get me running and hopefully will be able to help others later on.

rukshankb
June 25th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Thank you very much for this beginner guide.

ituen
June 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Well done webmaster and other contibutors

Nick1890
June 26th, 2008, 12:05 PM
First time I visit this site: THANKS for this overview!!!

sandywicked
June 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Good thread helped me to solve a lot of my poblems thanks to all the contributors

bapoumba
June 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Please check this animation regarding Ubuntu installation on the whole hard drive :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5272751

zoobean
June 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM
:)

techwrekfix
June 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I'm a Sys Admin who's feed up with Windows. Vista was the last straw. I've been playing around with Ubuntu for about a year now but I think it's time I jump in with both feet.

Elfy
June 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Go for it then - there are plenty about ready to catch you :D

tjwoosta
July 2nd, 2008, 05:57 AM
awesome job!

i cant say i actually read the whole thing, but you should mention that when resizing a windows partition you should always defrag a couple of times first to help prevent data loss

Paqman
July 2nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
You don't seem to have mentioned Wubi.

Also, technically Wine isn't actually an emulator (in fact the name stands for: Wine Is Not an Emulator)

bhadotia
July 2nd, 2008, 06:56 AM
Great guide.

=D>=D>=D>
You could mention some thing about checking the md5sum of the downloaded ISO image.
Also a mention of wubi would be fine addition, and also provide links to wiki , documentation and medibuntu repos , I think you cannot live comfortably without these.

lisati
July 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
One comment after a quick perusal: I think it would be better if you said "server edition" instead of "server addition" in the pre-installation steps section.

WRDN
July 2nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
A very good guide that ill certainly pass on to others, well done :)

One thing I would elaborate on though is manual partitioning during the installer, and the general recommended partitions to setup.
So, if a person was to create a manual partition, they may wish to create 3 different ones:
- 1 Swap Partition
- 1 Root Partition (entering "/" to allow this. Otherwise the entire manual partitioning process will fail)
- 1 Home Partition (entering "/home" to allow this)

You could also create a 4th partition, the Data partition, so data can be easily shared between multiple different operating systems, even if ANY part of the OS (including /home) had to be replaced.

PoopyTheJ
July 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the ideas, they've been added and/or changed. I'll try and keep this as up to date as I can, and I'm glad it was integrated into this thread! I'll get to the manual partitioning tommorrow, too tired right now and I just saw that you posted after I made the changes marked above ;)

sharks
July 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
To read and write ntfs

sudo aptitude install ntfs-config