PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help changing file permissions

TaintedBllack
July 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
All my music and each containing folder is set only to have root permissions. When I try to change the permissions (yes I am using sudo) it will only change the permissions for one file at a time. I tried changing the folder permissions and clicked apply permissions to enclosed files.. but that isn't working.

Please help

aysiu
July 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Is this on your Ubuntu drive? Or is this on an external drive that's NTFS or FAT32?

ghostdog74
July 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM
use the command line dude, you are on linux :)

chmod -R u+x *.mp3 #for example

look up the man page for more info

ChameleonDave
July 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM
All my music and each containing folder is set only to have root permissions. When I try to change the permissions (yes I am using sudo) it will only change the permissions for one file at a time. I tried changing the folder permissions and clicked apply permissions to enclosed files.. but that isn't working.

Please help

Let's say your music is in a directory called "Music" on your desktop, and your user name is "tainted".

sudo chown -R tainted ~/Desktop/Music

...will make you the owner of those files.

aktiwers
July 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Or change them like this:

sudo chown -R USERNAME:USERNAME /Path/to/folder/

Where you replace USERNAME with your username and /path/to/folder/ with the path to your folder.

ghostdog74
July 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Let's say your music is in a directory called "Music" on your desktop, and your user name is "tainted".

sudo chown -R tainted ~/Desktop/Music

...will make you the owner of those files.
if i didn't see wrongly, OP indicates changing permissions, not owner.

aktiwers
July 5th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Ohh true.. sorry ignore my post then.

Then this command would be better

sudo chmod 777 -R /path/to/folder/

aysiu
July 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM
All of this chmod and chown stuff will work only if it's on a Linux drive or partition.

If it's external media (that's usually FAT16 or FAT32), those commands are all for naught.

That's why I asked earlier what filesystem was used.

ChameleonDave
July 5th, 2008, 07:17 AM
if i didn't see wrongly, OP indicates changing permissions, not owner.

Yes, but you have to read people's words through the filter of n00bishness. He said "permissions" but probably meant ownership. Someone else had already indicated how to use chmod, so I indicated how to use chown.

ghostdog74
July 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM
All of this chmod and chown stuff will work only if it's on a Linux drive or partition.

If it's external media (that's usually FAT16 or FAT32), those commands are all for naught.

That's why I asked earlier what filesystem was used.

OP indicates he can change one file at a time, or did i misread something?

phillipi
July 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
How would I go about changing the permissions on a FAT16, FAT 32, or NTFS file system. I tried getting ntfsconfig but the package could not be found. You are right using chown and chmod were ineffective. It still reads "read only file system"

[QUOTE=aysiu;5322885]All of this chmod and chown stuff will work only if it's on a Linux drive or partition.

That's why I asked earlier what filesystem was used.[/QUOTE

ChameleonDave
July 9th, 2008, 02:57 AM
How would I go about changing the permissions on a FAT16, FAT 32, or NTFS file system. I tried getting ntfsconfig but the package could not be found. You are right using chown and chmod were ineffective. It still reads "read only file system"

I believe that FAT systems simply are too primitive to support permissions for individual files. You have to state in your fstab file what permissions all files on the partition are to have.

I thought that NTFS was the same, but maybe it isn't.

To mess with NTFS partitions, install software with the following command:

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfs-config ntfsprogs

P.S. Plug in your drive and post the output of these commands:

cat /etc/fstab
sudo blkid

epidemiks
September 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I have a similar problem with a 40Gb mp3 collection on an NTFS drive.
Some files I am able to rename/change id tags etc, some not..
what is the right chmod option to use?

kylebridge
September 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Here's the command I used and it worked, for a while...

sudo chown -hR username /home/server/Public/Calendars

It changes username to owner of the folder, and all of the files contained, but as soon as a windows user accesses or saves one of the shared files, the owner changes back to "nobody" Is there any way I can permanently change the owner? I'm sharing about 3 dozen files in a Windows workgroup, and can't have these files become unavailable to the users.