PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] how can i empty trash bin as root

malanco
July 5th, 2008, 06:19 AM
hi, i want to know how to empty the trash bin as root because when i want to empty the trash bin some files are kept and i get the message that i dont have the permission, i know i can change the permissions of that files, but i would be easier if i can just know how to empty the trash bin as root, thanks guys. :)

GuitarRocker2562
July 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
In terminal

sudo rm -rf /home/YOURUSERNAME/.trash

malanco
July 5th, 2008, 06:30 AM
hey thanks guitarocker!! :guitar:

ChameleonDave
July 5th, 2008, 06:31 AM
In terminal

sudo rm -rf /home/YOURUSERNAME/.trash

That is for earlier versions. In Hardy Heron, you need to do this:

sudo rm -rf ~/.local/share/Trash

You should also empty root's trash, just in case:

sudo rm -rf /root/.local/share/Trash

In additional, any extra partitions you have mounted will have their own trashcans for each user who has deleted files on that partition. I, for instance, have to do the following to clear that out:

sudo rm -rf ~/Files/.Trash*

hey thanks guitarocker!! :guitar:

To thank him, click on the thank icon on his post.

malanco
July 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
ok, trash folder is at /.local so my the command looks like this :

sudo rm -rf /home/YOURUSERNAME/.local/share/Trash/files

:)

aysiu
July 5th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Please be very careful when entering any of those commands into the terminal. Mess up and you can end up removing a lot more than what's in your trash.

If you decide to use those commands, I highly suggestion you copy and paste instead of retype.

Probably the safest thing to do is
sudo chown -R username /home/username/.local/share/Trash/files and then empty the trash the traditional way.

I suspect people are getting root-owned files in the trash because they're running graphical applications with sudo instead of gksudo. If you're getting a lot of root-owned files in the trash, read this link: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo