PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox keeps closing unexpectedly

Matt26
July 5th, 2008, 05:48 AM
for some reason firefox (v3.0) keeps shutting down unexpectedly on me- it never used to do this... i recently replaced my motherboard but i don't expect that this would have any bearing on FF closing down all the time... any ideas anyone?

thanks.

Dark_Stang
July 5th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Is it happening on a certain site? Does it happen on sites with flash?

Matt26
July 5th, 2008, 06:01 AM
i have multiple tabs opened in the FF window- some have flash some don't- the entire FF window closes every time, then when i open it again it says that FF was not closed down properly and gives me the option of resuming my last session or continuing with a new one.

miwaypet
July 5th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Flash problem. Go to synaptic and mark for complete removal the flashplugin-nonfree. After that is done install ubuntu restricted extras. Problem should correct.

Edit: nearly forgot. If you have installed any multimedia plugins through mozilla add-ons you need to remove them. They will cause FF to crash. Go this page for a simple quick guide to installing your multimedia: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2061&page=1.

Matt26
July 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM
thanks for the suggestions- i have completely removed flashplugin-nonfree and installed ubuntu restricted extras but FF still crashes... how do i remove any multimedia plugins that were installed through Mozilla add-ons? i'm not certain that i have ever added any this way but i don't know where to check this.

thanks.

DezSP
July 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Try running firefox from a terminal, you should then get an error message in the terminal window when it crashes, which might give better insight.

Matt26
July 6th, 2008, 09:33 PM
here is the output from the terminal window when FF crashes:

GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetMIMEDescription
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f150: NP_GetValue return
Segmentation fault

miwaypet
July 7th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Go to synaptic package manager and type in the search box: openjdk.

Scroll down the list and mark for complete removal those boxes that are full. Accept any changes it shows and remove those items. Now make sure that you have sun-java6 bin, jre, and plugin installed. Should clear up after a restart.

Matt26
July 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
i have completely removed openjdk and reinstalled sun java 6 as suggested but firefox is still crashing... here is the error i receive now when firefox crashes when it is opened via the terminal window:

(firefox:7163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(firefox:7163): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

Segmentation fault

any ideas?

miwaypet
July 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Start here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=749465

miwaypet
July 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
What version of FF are you using. Are you using the latest ubuntu release. Have you been updating your OS?????

Sawubona
July 20th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Hey I don't know if you've solved this yet but i had the same problem up until yesterday. I tried a lot of things nothing worked until I stumbled across a thread last night. I would refer you to it if i could remember where it was, but i had had a few beers so i can't remember.

Basically adobe flash player 9 and Pulseaudio don't like each other. In my case FF would always crash right at the start of a flash video when the audio was loading. However flash player 10 has apparently fixed this problem.

The solution:

- uninstall flashplugin-nonfree using the synaptic package manager.
- get flash player 10 from: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

Hope this fixes the problem. My knowledge is limited though, as it was a monkey see monkey do fix. Haven't had a crash yet which is a great sign.

Bosconian
July 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I had the same problem. Flash 10 beta makes things better but still crashes (just not quite as often).

I solved it by going back to Flash 9 and going to the sound settings and changing all PulseAudio to ALSA in the settings.

I'll use this setup until they fix the Flash/Pulseaudio issues.