PDA

View Full Version : [other] Wine configuration questions

L a r r y
July 5th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I am trying to make Wine work on Ubuntu 8.04, and am following these directions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

After the initial install, I was advised to run winecfg in my Terminal. There I get this mass of error messages before the configuration utility came up:
-----
preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.
-----
:KSand:KS
-----
err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
-----
These error messages were repeated a half-dozen times on the Terminal screen before the config utility opened up. In the config utility, I am running the default Windows XP and the sound doesn't work.

Wine is in the Applications menu, and it has a working copy of Notepad and RegEdit, and Internet Explorer needs a Gecko engine installed before it displays anything.

What file do I need to look at to try to fix these errors?

whitethorn
July 5th, 2008, 02:29 AM
Wine doesn't like pulse audio, I use

pasuspender wine /../../foo.exe

to stop pulse audio and to use alsa. It should give you sound back. As for the other erros I have no idea.

pasuspender also works great for other programs with problems working with pulse audio like skype.