PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dvd Burning

tom-e-totortot
July 4th, 2008, 11:17 PM
i need help burning dvds from start to finish! thanks1

sayakb
July 4th, 2008, 11:26 PM
For burning DVDs, you may use Brasero (http://www.gnome.org/projects/brasero/). Brasero is included in Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04
If you don't have it, install it by typing this at a terminal:

sudo apt-get install braseroYou can start brasero by typing brasero at a terminal.
At the Brasero main page, select what action to do. For example, you want to create a Data DVD, so click the appropriate button. On the left side, you can navigate to the files you want to burn. Drag and drop them on the right side. Read the instructions on the right panel for mare ways to add/remove a file. After you are finished, press Burn button.

logos34
July 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM
use cd/dvd creator in nautilus, or Brasero like LinuxIsInnovation suggested, or GnomeBaker, or (best of all) K3B

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#CD.2FDVD_Burning

sayakb
July 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Agree, K3B is very good indeed. But if you are using Gnome, installing K3B will install a big bunch of KDE libraries on your gnome desktop.

lukjad007
July 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I like k3b. It is simple and has enough options to suit me and not be too complex to the new use.

logos34
July 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Agree, K3B is very good indeed. But if you are using Gnome, installing K3B will install a big bunch of KDE libraries on your gnome desktop.

That's the common objection, and it's certainly true that using a kde app in gnome means you need the qt- libraries. But a lot of people feel even K3b alone is worth it. It's that good.

sayakb
July 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I use K3B with Suse10.3 + KDE4. Again, I agree it is excellent indeed :D

Dissident85
July 5th, 2008, 01:06 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=791502 <-- that thread might help

jivabill
August 11th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Sounds like everyone likes K3b. Not my experience. When I use it K3b works fine and very fast UNTIL it gets to the verify phase and then it freezes. I wind up having to shut my machine completely down, pull the plug, in order to get rid of K3b.

The other problem I have had is I can't seem to write an appendable CD, one that can have other files added to it later.

So I am exploring GnomeBaker now. If anyone can give me advice on my K3b troubles I would like to hear it.
Thanks,
Bill

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 12:24 AM
i need help burning dvds from start to finish! thanks1

important question here that we don't have the answer to. What type of dvd are you looking to burn? (ie. data, video, picture cd?) Depending on what you are looking to burn with decide the steps you need to take.

jivabill
August 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hi Halitech, nice to meet you. What I want to do is write a Data DVD containing my system save file (1.9GB) and some other folders of sensitive information.

FYI what I found with GnomeBaker is that, contrary to posts I have read elsewhere, the current version does not allow multisession capability, all I can do with GnomeBaker is blow a whole DVD on one or two files, whatever I select in my initial burn. So I am looking to do multisession CDs and DVDs.
Thanks
Bill

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Jivabill,

honestly I've never used Gnomebaker or Nautilus to burn anything (or if I did, it was so long ago that I honestly don't remember). I would say install K3B (plus all the other dependencies it wants) and use it as it does have an option to start and finalize multisessions cds and dvds.

rossjman1
August 12th, 2008, 01:27 AM
It really depends on what you want to do. First you want to go out and buy some dvds (you probably already did this). If you are going to burn a data dvd, any brand dvd will do as they all have long lifespans and work in all computers. If you're planning on burning a video dvd, then I would suggest the Office Depot brand, in my experience, strike a good balance between quality and cost; they work with most dvd players including the ps2, xbox, and xbox360.
Everyone already told you how to burn a data dvd, so I wont really talk too much about that, but I will trow my 2 cents into the pot. Brasero (Braseo Disk Burning in the menu) works great, and you don't really need to replace it if you don't want to.
If you have a .avi file that you would like to burn onto a dvd so you can watch on your tv the program DeVeDe is a must.

sudo apt-get install devede
Open the program from the Applications menu and select Video DVD from the menu. From here you can add your avi file, change the main menu of the dvd, sych the audeo with the video, etc. Be prepared to wait, as converting the avi to an iso will take up to 4 hours. It will save an *.iso file in your home directory (movie.iso by default). Open Brasero and click burn image from the menu. Browse to the iso file that devede just created, and burn (from here it takes 4-10 minutes).

RedRat
August 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I have found that when i used Brasero that it would not burn some DVD disks, these were TDK+R. Yet GnomeBaker would burn on them fine, so I would suggest GnomeBaker.

As to multisessions, GnomeBaker will give you the option to "Finalize" the disk. If you don't finalize, you should be able to add files to the disk. However, i must admit, I have not tried that.

jivabill
August 12th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Thank you for your input Halitech. I have used the Nautilus several times for small burning projects. And I used GnomeBaker once to see if it would do multisession and found in the help file that they plan to add that later :-).

So just now I removed K3b from my system and then re-installed it. (the old Windows trick) to see it that would fix anything. Also I did find how to set K3b for multisession. And I did a DVD with a multisession.

But the problem that is still hanging out is the one where K3b freezes when I try to specify "verify". I'll have to try that again since I re-installed K3b and see if that problem has been fixed.
Thanks for your help.
Bill

jivabill
August 12th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Hi RedHat, and thanks for the tip on GnomeBaker. I'll check that out and see if I can do a multi session DVD that way.
Bill

jivabill
August 12th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Hi Rossjman1, thanks for all the good info. That will keep me busy for awhile :-). I have a BIG spindle of DVDs, pretty good ones that my son who is an IT Geek in FL gave me. So I have quite a bit of ammunition.
Thanks again,
Bill

jivabill
August 12th, 2008, 02:58 AM
An update on GnomeBaker and K3b.

So I tried writing a DVD with GnomeBaker and in the options screen I found the "finalize" checkbox was NOT checked. Theoretically (it is not covered in the help file) that would mean that more files could be added later. Not the case. So I tried writing a DVD with the "finalize" checkbox checked. Same result, I could not create a multisession DVD. This state of affairs certainly limits the usefullness of GnomeBaker.

In regard to K3b, I found out how to set it so I could create a multisession DVD. And, after I removed the program and re-installed it I found that the "verify" phase works now. Funny, It thought having to re-install programs was a Winblows thing :-).

So that is my report. Looks like I will be using K3b to do my CD and DVD burning.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Bill

RedRat
August 12th, 2008, 04:21 AM

So I tried writing a DVD with GnomeBaker and in the options screen I found the "finalize" checkbox was NOT checked. Theoretically (it is not covered in the help file) that would mean that more files could be added later. Not the case. So I tried writing a DVD with the "finalize" checkbox checked. Same result, I could not create a multisession DVD. This state of affairs certainly limits the usefullness of GnomeBaker.

In regard to K3b, I found out how to set it so I could create a multisession DVD. And, after I removed the program and re-installed it I found that the "verify" phase works now. Funny, It thought having to re-install programs was a Winblows thing :-).

So that is my report. Looks like I will be using K3b to do my CD and DVD burning.

Bill
Hey that was a good piece of information. I thought with the unchecked "Finalize" that you could create a multisession DVD. I will K3b and see how it works. Thanks for the info!

RedRat
August 15th, 2008, 12:16 AM

Bill
I just happened to note thaT supposedly GnomeBaker 0.64 does multi-sessions. I got it from:
http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gnome+Baker
The blurb claims multi-session but I have not tried it out.