PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How to return from Envy to "nvidia" driver from Ubuntu repo

warmrobot
July 4th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hello everybody!

Yesterday I tried to install Envy to fix games freezing. The bug still exist, and I've got a new one. You may be khow, that annoying bug, when you hold cursor over buttons, the top of the window glitching and loose its color. http://warmrobot.com/i/temp/ubuntu_lose_color.png

I am pretty sure that on nvidia-glx-new does ot have this bug. So I deside to return to nvidia-glx-new But xserver do not use my xorg.conf when I uninstall Envy drivers and try to use nvidia-glx-new. And even in jockey-gtk I didn't see anything. As my system don't have any proprietary driver at all!

I think "nv" driver doesn't work too. Only VESA with 800x600 max resolution.
Please help me to return things back to default.

My videocard NVIDIA 6600GT
Monitor Dell 2007WFP

Thank you!

ubuntu-freak
July 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Did you remove Envy completely with:

sudo envy --uninstall-all

?

warmrobot
July 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Yes, I did. Exactly like in manual. May be I must to do some changes in xorg.conf? However there Driver "nvidia", and here Driver "nvidia" so what's the differ?

ubuntu-freak
July 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM
What happens when you enable the proprietary driver in System > Administration > Hardware Drivers?

Your games may stop freezing if you disable effects in System > Preferences > Appearance > Effects.

warmrobot
July 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
When I uninstalled Envy drivers, System > Administration > Hardware Drivers show NO any drivers at all. Before I install Envy everything was correct.

ubuntu-freak
July 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
When I uninstalled Envy drivers, System > Administration > Hardware Drivers show NO any drivers at all. Before I install Envy everything was correct.

Hmm I'm not sure then. Have you tried installing nvidia-glx-new manually?

warmrobot
July 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Yes, I did it by Synaptic. The thing that I found weird is why "nv" does't work too. Only Vesa. And why System > Administration > Hardware Drivers is empty.

TVC15
July 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Hello,

I am experiencing a similar problem.
I can't get the Extra Visual Effects activated. So I tried using Envyng, following the manual.
I think that installed a newer driver than the one I had, because I now have a problem I didn't have before. My second display is out of sync because of an impossible refresh rate. When I try to adjust it in "Screen and graphics", I am forced back to Vesa drivers, but they only give me 800x600 resolution.
Before I ran Envy, my secondary display was ok.

Now I still can't activate the Extra visual effects AND my second display doesn't work anymore

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 with Nvidia 7800GS 512MB AGP card.

warmrobot
July 7th, 2008, 06:32 AM
By the way, I have found that problem with window titlebar is connected with new NVidia drivers and Compiz. So I surely need to get standard "nvidia" driver, not Envy.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/99508

warmrobot
July 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM
OK, finally I got "nvidia" driver. This https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia manual was very helpful.

All that I did is:

1) sudo depmod

2) Added following line to Screen section in xorg.xonf.

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"

And after starting X server everything is fine. Problem is solved.

ubuntu-freak
July 10th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted. Strange you had to do that though.