PDA

View Full Version : [other] PC toasted? =/

ProbablyX
July 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hi!

I was going to run a benchmark test of my GPU. 10 secs into the test the PC shuts off and wont start.

When I remove the box door and press the PWR button I can see that the CPU fan moves list a little and then sumt makes a twiching sound. After that the PC is dead.

The network port is lit and the green "ON" led on the mobo is on...

Is this CPU failure or does anyone have any idea?

Thanks )

AlexBellisBrown
July 4th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Does the HDD light flicker? Make any noise? Does anything appear "on screen?" INTEL, or AMD for example?

jmore9
July 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
The fastest way i have found is to open the case and unplug all the hard drives and cds and dvds. Any usb stuff and any serial stuff. Just the mouse , keyboard, monitor. Then try to start.

If it starts just pulg in one item at a time until you find which is causing the problem , starting with the hard drives, cds, etc

ProbablyX
July 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Does the HDD light flicker? Make any noise? Does anything appear "on screen?" INTEL, or AMD for example?

I press the button, the cpu moves a bit and it shuts off - all happens in abot 2 seconds

Thanks

Carl H
July 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Possibly a dead PSU.

ProbablyX
July 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Possibly a dead PSU.

Thanks for replying :)

I put in another PSU (connected the main mobo power and CPU power) to a 300W PSU (Athlon 64 X2 6000+ CPU - shoud be eough power...)

Same error here though now I saw that the gfx card fan also moved a bit along with the CPU

Kevbert
July 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
You don't get any beeps or have a bank of LEDs on the motherboard which light up ? Try disconnecting all disk driver
and then power up.

ProbablyX
July 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
You don't get any beeps or have a bank of LEDs on the motherboard which light up ? Try disconnecting all disk driver
and then power up.

Hi!

No nothing at all I have the green led that turns on when I connect the power cable - then when I press ON the fans just move a tiiiny bit and then nothing at all

Thanks

ljonesj
July 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
is it onboard video or a graphics card and the 300 watt is plenty that was what was in my acer with the amd 6000 before i upgraded to 500 watt

ProbablyX
July 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
its a 8800gt gfx card. my original psu was 500W (the one I disconnected now)

UPDATE: Was the graphics card! I called the shop I got it from and I just got an RMA notice so.. lets see what happens :P

Thanks for your time

Kevbert
July 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Graphics cards seem to be getting more and more power hungry (hence the bigger heatsinks).

ProbablyX
July 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hi again.

It turns out the graphics card was short circuited =/
Not warranty covered, but they replaced it out of "good will" anyway they said.

So the question is now, how could that happen? is my PSU/mobo really "toasters" or what causes this?

Thanks