PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help picking a graphics card

Tyranis1
July 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Ok so I have this so-so computer laying around so I thought well I might as well put it to use and put Ubuntu on it. The only thing I need though is a APG graphics card. I'm really good at looking at hardware but I have never used Linux so I have no idea about drivers. I dont care if its Nvidia or ATI but would like to have something with as much power as I can but I don't want any issues. I would like to have something Open GL 2.0 if possible. Price is not an issue but like I said I would like to have something that I can use without any issue because I would like to have an ATI 3850 or 2600xt but I have heard they have driver issues but that may have changed.

Mikecore
July 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Ok so I have this so-so computer laying around so I thought well I might as well put it to use and put Ubuntu on it. The only thing I need though is a APG graphics card. I'm really good at looking at hardware but I have never used Linux so I have no idea about drivers. I dont care if its Nvidia or ATI but would like to have something with as much power as I can but I don't want any issues. I would like to have something Open GL 2.0 if possible. Price is not an issue but like I said I would like to have something that I can use without any issue because I would like to have an ATI 3850 or 2600xt but I have heard they have driver issues but that may have changed.

You could pick any nvidia card for the most part and you will be ok. I herd that AMD is fixing its ATI driver for linux, but who knows how long that will take. I don't own any ATI products because of the pain in the rear it was to get them working.