PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Obex File Transfer

Windsurfer619
July 4th, 2008, 12:04 AM
When I was using Gutsy, I could just pair my phone (bluetooth) to browse it using Obex, and I even copied a few songs over using nautilus drag and drop.
Since upgrading to Hardy, I can browse and copy files FROM the phone just like before, but now when I try to copy a file TO the phone, it gives me the error:

Operation not supported by backend

Any ideas how I can fix this?

PS. My phone does not support Obex push, so I can't do the whole "Send To..." routine.

Windsurfer619
July 21st, 2008, 02:01 AM
buuuuump

Windsurfer619
October 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Jesus christ I just upgraded to Intrepid and this problem was not fixed. Went on google searching to see if it's been fixed and saw this post and I thought "Hey! That's my exact problem!" and I went to reply... only to see I was replying to myself.
I guess I'm just trying to say "Buuuummmmmmppppp!"

kwhitefoot
October 31st, 2008, 07:43 PM
I have exactly the same experience. Is anyone working on fixing this, or is there a workaround? It's really embarrassing, I used to be able to say to my colleagues that Ubuntu and Blue Tooth worked so much better than Windows. But now it's not true.

Windsurfer619
November 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
After googling and reading man pages for a while, it would seem that "obexftp" does exactly what nautilus used to do.
To use it, simply type in a terminal
<code>obexftp -b 00:13:00:6C:3E:22 -p song.mp3</code>
Where that mac address is your phone and song.mp3 is the file you want to send. It doesn't have to be music, either.

oddish2211
November 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
i have the same problem, but the workaround you said isn't working for me because i want to transfer 50> files to a directory somewhere on my bluetooth enabled phone.
isn't there another application for browsing + sending files over bluetooth?

CTho9305
July 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
In Intrepid, a command-line app called "bluetooth-browser" shows me a list of bluetooth devices and then lets me browse the chosen device with Nautilus. There's probably some way to invoke bluetooth-browser with a GUI, but I didn't find it.

Roy Damman
June 2nd, 2010, 08:00 AM
Try to install package 'openobex-apps'. This solved my problems.

Reggino
February 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem when i tried to copy files from a (samba) network share to my Bluetooth device. I somehow solved this by first copying the files to my local disk and THEN transfer it to my phone. Hope this helps