PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Burning CDs and DVDs *extremely* slow

jipis
July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I recently (last week?) upgraded to hardy from either edgy or feisty. Can't remember which. Ever since, burning a disc -- cd or dvd -- is extremely slow and seemingly processor-intensive.

Speed: I used to be able to burn a dvd-rw 4GB in about 10 minutes. Now it takes about 40. Similar speed problem with burning CDs, but I don't have the exact numbers.
Processor (or memory??): It's so slow that I can't use my machine while burning. (The mouse stutters, screen is sluggish, etc.) I also haven't thought to take a look at top while burning. I'll try that later this evening if someone thinks it might be insightful.

I'm fairly desperate on this. I haven't been able to find anyone else (my google-fu is pretty good, IISSM) who seems to have this problem.

Shot in the dark: could it be related to the SCSIfication of the IDE drives in hardy?

Let me know what kind of diagnostic data to provide and I will.

Thanks for your help!

-J

lukjad007
July 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Try a different burning application like k3b instead of the default burner. Also look for a CL burner.

stchman
July 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I recently (last week?) upgraded to hardy from either edgy or feisty. Can't remember which. Ever since, burning a disc -- cd or dvd -- is extremely slow and seemingly processor-intensive.

Speed: I used to be able to burn a dvd-rw 4GB in about 10 minutes. Now it takes about 40. Similar speed problem with burning CDs, but I don't have the exact numbers.
Processor (or memory??): It's so slow that I can't use my machine while burning. (The mouse stutters, screen is sluggish, etc.) I also haven't thought to take a look at top while burning. I'll try that later this evening if someone thinks it might be insightful.

I'm fairly desperate on this. I haven't been able to find anyone else (my google-fu is pretty good, IISSM) who seems to have this problem.

Shot in the dark: could it be related to the SCSIfication of the IDE drives in hardy?

Let me know what kind of diagnostic data to provide and I will.

Thanks for your help!

-J

Did you do a clean install or go the upgrade route? The clean install is faster and works better.

jipis
July 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Did you do a clean install or go the upgrade route? The clean install is faster and works better.

It was a clean install. Installed / and /boot right over the old partitions. Don't trust updates. Call it a MS-inspired fear.

As for applications, it doesn't matter. I've used k3b and gnomebaker. Both exhibit the same problem. Which leads me to believe it's a driver issue. Or, a general kernel issue. Or something. Makes me wish I had actually done the kernel-hacking assignments in the OS class I sat in on in grad school....

-J

jipis
July 4th, 2008, 04:52 AM
So, apparently my google-fu isn't as good as I thought. I just found this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4749779&postcount=2) talking about DMA. Apparently DMA wasn't on/working/whatever for the dvd drive. It seems to be now. I'm off to test. :)