PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Connect TV to desktop wirelessly

CommonClone
July 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
How can I connect my television to my desktop wirelessly? Is there some kind of wireless adapter or something I can plug into my television so I can watch videos from my computer on my tv?

Thanks

Fingers & Thumbs
July 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I know this is possible, just not particularly cost effective (so far as I know) For instance it is possible with a Sony PS3, definitely an expensive way to do it. Archos produce some tiny pocket sized media gadget thingies which also allow you to do this, cheaper than PS3, but you'r still paying for more than you need. Unfortunately I am not aware of any devices dedicated to this purpose alone, the cheapest option I've concidered is a second hand computer.

CommonClone
July 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks, I do have an old Pentium 3 box that I could use, but it has the video adapter built into the motherboard. I would like to have a digital connection going to the TV, as it it a nice Phillips plasma. I guess I would have to buy a video card to do that.

I would love to hear any other suggestions.

aeiah
July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
does the plasma not take a VGA signal?

incidentally, you wont be able to play HD content with a pentium 3, although you didnt actually say your tv is HD anyway so this might be a moot point.

aeiah
July 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
depending on what you want from this, you could set something up very quickly. if i just wanted to play movies through my tv and nothing else particularly, the best thing to do would be to write a script that upon the insertion of a usb drive, it would play the contents of the drive. that way you dont need to bother networking the device, worrying about streaming issues, or having an input device attatched to your tv computer. just put the movie on the stick, plug it into the computer, and it automatically plays.

of course, im not entirely sure a script for this exists.. ive been thinking of writing one myself but i havent had the time.

jesusprice
July 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
I use the D-Link Dsm 320 but that is for streaming movies and music not using the computer on tv.

Fingers & Thumbs
July 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
There are, of course, other alternatives to wireless streaming. There are a number of DVD players in existence that have a USB input for an external HD which could be loaded with your movies, and also some external HD caddies that have media players built in with relevant outputs (although I'm not sure about digital or HDMI outputs). I realise this isn't quite what you were looking for, but perhaps it is something else to look into, considering the costs of all of the options.

CommonClone
July 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM
depending on what you want from this, you could set something up very quickly. if i just wanted to play movies through my tv and nothing else particularly, the best thing to do would be to write a script that upon the insertion of a usb drive, it would play the contents of the drive. that way you dont need to bother networking the device, worrying about streaming issues, or having an input device attatched to your tv computer. just put the movie on the stick, plug it into the computer, and it automatically plays.

of course, im not entirely sure a script for this exists.. ive been thinking of writing one myself but i havent had the time.

My TV has a usb port built it, but it only plays certain formats, and I don't feel like re-encoding all my vids. But I really just want to be able to watch youtube and stuff like that.

cariboo907
July 7th, 2008, 07:58 AM
There a lot of dvd players out there that will play multi format. I've got a Panasonic that plays DVD, VCD, DIVX, AVI and more. I bought it about 2 years ago and the price was well under $100.00. Just burn video to cd or dvd and watch to your hearts content.

Jim

CommonClone
July 7th, 2008, 04:40 PM
There a lot of dvd players out there that will play multi format. I've got a Panasonic that plays DVD, VCD, DIVX, AVI and more. I bought it about 2 years ago and the price was well under $100.00. Just burn video to cd or dvd and watch to your hearts content.

Jim

What I really want to do is to sit on my couch and watch streaming video off the internet. I guess I am going to have to run some rca cables to it. I just really would like to hook it up wirelessly if possible.

But thanks for all the suggestions.