PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Hard drive Not skewed In

Sugi
July 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
I was wondering, is it bad for a hard drive not to be screwed in? I don't have any slots for this extra hard drive. Will this cause damage to my hard drive if I don't move the computer or anything else that may be hurt the hard drive? I am planning on buying a new case by the way, but until am I oh kay?

Sugi

|{urse
July 2nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
It's fine so long as there isn't any audible vibration.

Sugi
July 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Wouldn't there be vibration, because it's not screwed in? Would the hard drive vibrate a little?

Sugi

|{urse
July 3rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
yes it would vibrate, i mean if it vibrates loudly, then worry about it.

|{urse
July 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
By the way you should remove the link to LGA in your sig.
http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/
The code downloadable on that site is malware and will ruin your os.

Q: I installed Linux Genuine Advantage, not realizing it was a joke. What do I do?
A: Oops! OK, here's how to disable it. For what it's worth, every system like this to date has also been possible to disable and/or work around.

To remove Linux Genuine Advantage from your computer:

1. Remove the entry it created at the bottom of /etc/inittab
2. kill -HUP 1
3. rm -f /usr/local/sbin/linux-genuine-advantage
4. rm -rf /etc/linux-genuine-advantage/
5. rm -f /etc/nologin

If you somehow managed to install the program, forget about it, and got locked out of your computer 30 days later, you'll need to reboot the machine (possibly by resetting the power at the machine), boot into single user mode, and then follow the steps outlined above. And please be more careful installing dubious code from untrusted web sites in the future! On second thought, I may know of another operating system that's perfect for you...

Sugi
July 3rd, 2008, 12:35 AM
Actually, I already knew that putting the link up. I put the link to the website as a joke, instead of it actually being a helpful application. I hope, everyone would have learned better from Windows.

Sugi

|{urse
July 3rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Oh i get your humor, very funny. But hosting the actual code is the problem, lots of noobs would install it not thinking it would do exactly what it said it would, which it will.

Sugi
July 3rd, 2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the heads, I think I might take it down now. I still can't believe anyone would actually install that. o.0

Even the website looks crazy.

Sugi

Jimmey
September 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Dear me -

My harddrive sits in a CD/DVD drive bay, so it doesn't fit perfectly

I'm 90% sure I can hear it vibrating.

Is that bad?

Sugi
September 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Jimmey, are you making fun of me?? And, that's one small laptop to fit in side of a 5.25 bay drive.

Sugi

Diabolis
September 20th, 2008, 04:30 PM
The Linux Genuine Advantage is great, it brings back all those good memories.

Jimmey
November 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry sugi -

I was having a similar problem, but I didn't mean to type "laptop"!