PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer 5315 wifi button not working ubuntu 8.04

yostane
July 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
hello,
I installed ubuntu hardy on acer 5315, the proprietary atheros wifi driver is present but the button on the laptop that turns on/off the wifi does not work. And by default wifi is off.
Is there a way to replace the button's job so I can turn wifi on.
thanks

Xenia
September 2nd, 2008, 06:02 AM
Hi. I too would be very interested in the answer to this question... though also having difficulties getting wired internet to go, on an Acer 5315?

Thanks, Xen

windozehater
September 2nd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Give this a try:
you need to have a working ethernet

Open a terminal and do these commands, each in order and in turn.
Code:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
tar zxvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801/

The file name will change as the current build changes. Just watch what the file is that is extracted.
Code:

make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe ath_pci
sudo reboot

Xenia
September 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks for that - I'll give it a try in the morning... though, since I can't even get the Ethernet going, I'll try by DLing the tar.gz in Windows to the shared partition I have set up, and wgetting from there... *hopefully* that will work.

Or, is it a prerequisite for this to work, to have ethernet working? I've not been able to get that going at all either, with Ubuntu.

windozehater
September 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM
the Ethernet has always worked on my aspire, but i think as long as you have the file accessible you should be o.k. i also had success with a wifi pci card (linksys WPC54G), and i also swapped out the internal card for the broadcom that was in my wifes compaq, before i came opon that script. the only problem i have had is the wifi light has only worked with the broadcom card, although the switch is fine.

Circus-Killer
September 2nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Give this a try:
you need to have a working ethernet

Open a terminal and do these commands, each in order and in turn.
Code:

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic
wget http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
tar zxvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801/

The file name will change as the current build changes. Just watch what the file is that is extracted.
Code:

make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe ath_pci
sudo reboot

for an in-depth howto, see HERE (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-ar5007-wireless-with-madwifi-on-ubuntu-804-hardy-heron.html).

Xenia
September 2nd, 2008, 07:15 PM
So, I'm trying this process, and when I tried:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

it told me (translated from Hungarian):
the build-essential package is unreachable, but another one refers to it. The requested package is thus: missing, outdated or reachable only through a different stream.
E: there is no identifiable (markable?) variant of the build-essential package for this install.

So now what?

Xenia
September 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Further question: will 'wget' work with something not online but saved onto disk locally? If not, then the listed process won't work, because I can't get even the wired 'net connection going...

Xenia
September 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Peeking in again... wondering if anyone might give an answer to the previous question? Nevermind just wireless, I can't even get the wired connection working...

Xen