PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mic Volume

bakentake
July 2nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Well, heres the story.

I play wow, using the latest version of wine, my guild uses in-game voice at the moment, and they've all complained about my microphone volume being low, In the game I have set it to the max setting (250%), and I can't find a microphone volume on my computer anywhere. I've tried searching for it before but it hasn't seemed to help either, I was hoping someone knew of a way to increase my mic volume like I could do in windows? (Only have ubuntu :\)

sydbat
July 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
In the upper right corner (assuming you have default panels), do you see a volume control icon? Right click on it and choose Open Volume Control. There should be an option to change mic volume. If not, Edit > Preferences select mic volume.

bakentake
July 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Wow I feel retarded now, never thought too look under that >.< Thank you very much.

sydbat
July 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Don't feel bad. We all have to learn someplace.

bakentake
July 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
So I maxed the Mic volume in there, then tested ingame and its still really low. With wine i'm using ALSA Drivers rather than OSS, would that be the cause? Or did I miss turning something up in volume control?

sydbat
July 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
I use ALSA too. Was there a "Mic Boost" checkbox? If so, try activating that and see if it gives you a control to increase the volume.

bakentake
July 2nd, 2008, 11:22 PM
When I opened Control, I found the Mic Boost under Edit -> Preferences, and I checked it, it didn't add another slider, and ingame its still the same.

bakentake
July 3rd, 2008, 01:14 AM
So I have the Microphone Boost (+20dB) on, and checked the External Amplifier, but how would I use an external amp? Or is there another volume increase I could find somewhere? My mic is louder now than it was but I think with another +20dB boost it would be the same as everyone elses.