PDA

View Full Version : malcious openoffice site?

mvdberg112
July 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Today I wanted to check the openoffice site and Google presented me with this ad: openoffice.org-suite.com. Anybody know this site?

I believe this site is bogus - the perhaps offer the real openoffice, but seem to charge for it. Sign up is required for both support and download. I am happy to see many people and businesses using and distributing GNU software and supporting it. However, transparency is very important. To me, this site does not look transparent.

If this is true, just be warned. If they want to sell support, fine, but then be open about and give foremost credit to the current developers. They are not open about it and give only minimal credit. See quote from their website below.

The Complete OpenOffice Suite
Get immediate access and discover the most downloaded office suite online! Why dish out your hard earned money for software applications that don’t give you half of what we offer?
Why wait? Join the exciting Open Office experience now!

Optimize your office efficiency & productivity!

Top Features
#1 RATED PRODUCT
OpenOffice Suite
Create and Export PDF files like the Pro’s do
Improved & Advanced Options of MS Office
Hundreds of OpenOffice Templates
Enhanced Help menu and Extended Tips
Edit Excel, Word & Power Point documents
Dedicated & professional customer service 24/7
Extend Your Office

With all these benefits and features, it’s not hard to figure out why Open Office is
fast becoming the number one choice for people.
- It doesn’t end there. When you download you will get :

Professional Template Pack
Presentation Minimizer
Online Blog Publisher
Database Building Wizzard
Pro PDF Export Agent

“I was astonished at how Open Office was able to help me efficiently move my projects forward.This translates into more sales for my firm. Thanks! ” ---- Joe

kevin11951
July 1st, 2008, 11:45 PM
yep, same sort of thing here: http://www-openoffice.com/

lisati
July 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
The site name "openoffice.org-suite.com" is a bit of a give-away that something's not quite right - real websites are usually either a .org or a .com, not both at the same time!

The www- is a clue too (if you spot it), and seems to be counting on typos.

Be alert - your country needs more lerts

RequinB4
July 1st, 2008, 11:51 PM
This is illegal... Though not in the way some of us might think

Contrary to some beleif, the GPL DOES allow you to sell your builds of the software -- however, you must include, for instance, the source code, and some other stuff.

If this is the case, The proper authorities can be notified and the sites can be shut down.

Incidentally, this does show increasing demand in proprietary circles for OOo, which indicates better global reception of a better product.

the yawner
July 2nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
Checked their FAQ and there was no mention of getting the source code for their product upon purchase. But they do mention open source software. But no direct declaration that the software is open source.

Just a thought, but I wonder what will happen if a buyer learns about http://www.openoffice.org/ eh?

saulgoode
July 2nd, 2008, 03:33 AM
The webpage states:

Disclaimer: This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of these software programs, and provides only links to the software programs. This software may be obtained freely. New computer users should find our services valuable, and a time saver. If you are an advanced computer user, you probably don't need our services. Membership is for unlimited access to our site's resources. We provide an organized website with software links, technical support, tutorials and step by step guides.

Since they are not providing the binaries, they do not have to provide the source code. While I don't foresee availing myself of their services, their business would seem to be in compliance with the terms of the LGPL.