PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Quad Core or Dual Core

jptechnical
July 1st, 2008, 11:34 PM
I am buying a new computer, first time in about a decade... no more hand-my-downs for me! I am torn between dual and quad core.

I run a vbox vm of XP for quickbooks et al, develop lots of test machines on vbox and vmware, lots of firefox, some gimp, lots of wine and a fair amount of office productivity. I am using a Dell gx620 now, with a p4D 3.4 and 4gigs of ram (32 bit though... so it sees 3.5gig). I also run dual 22" displays on a ATI card (repo driver not binary).

My choices for my budget are:
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9450 (2.66GHz, 12M, VT, 1333MHz FSB
or
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9300 (2.50GHz, 6M, VT, 1333MHz FSB
or
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E8500 (3.16GHz, 6M, VT, 1333MHz FSB)

I will continue to use vbox and would like to have the hardware virtualizers, but can't tell if both procs have it or if one favors virtualization over another.

In addition, I will need to decide on either 64bit or 32bit ubuntu... but I have a week to decide that (research support for my apps and the like). But, pointers on this would help. I have room for another 4gigs ;-)

I have been windows free (except the vm for quickbooks... which doesn't count) for about 6 months now. I am moving my PDC and file servers over to linux, they are joining the linux lamp and postfix servers I have used for a couple years. Yeah Ubuntu!!!!!

Forgive if this is an overpost or a dupe, but I am not finding anything
searching for this... too many small words I suppose.

stchman
July 1st, 2008, 11:48 PM
I am buying a new computer, first time in about a decade... no more hand-my-downs for me! I am torn between dual and quad core.

I run a vbox vm of XP for quickbooks et al, develop lots of test machines on vbox and vmware, lots of firefox, some gimp, lots of wine and a fair amount of office productivity. I am using a Dell gx620 now, with a p4D 3.4 and 4gigs of ram (32 bit though... so it sees 3.5gig). I also run dual 22" displays on a ATI card (repo driver not binary).

My choices for my budget are:
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9450 (2.66GHz, 12M, VT, 1333MHz FSB
or
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q9300 (2.50GHz, 6M, VT, 1333MHz FSB
or
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor E8500 (3.16GHz, 6M, VT, 1333MHz FSB)

I will continue to use vbox and would like to have the hardware virtualizers, but can't tell if both procs have it or if one favors virtualization over another.

In addition, I will need to decide on either 64bit or 32bit ubuntu... but I have a week to decide that (research support for my apps and the like). But, pointers on this would help. I have room for another 4gigs ;-)

I have been windows free (except the vm for quickbooks... which doesn't count) for about 6 months now. I am moving my PDC and file servers over to linux, they are joining the linux lamp and postfix servers I have used for a couple years. Yeah Ubuntu!!!!!

Forgive if this is an overpost or a dupe, but I am not finding anything
searching for this... too many small words I suppose.

I would go for the Quad Core as it is better for the future. Also get 4GB RAM and run 64 bit Hardy to take advantage of teh power of that processor. I have a quad core riding a P35 based mobo and it runs great. Also a good video card is an 8800 Nvidia series. They run very well in Hardy.

I don't know the attraction of quickbooks, but some say Gnucash is a decent replacement for the Quicken type stuff.

arsenic23
July 1st, 2008, 11:51 PM
Personally, I'd go with the cheaper quad.
I have a Q6600 in my new PC and for insane multitasking quad core is the way to go.
Secondly, there is really not a huge difference in the performance if the higher end Intel Quads and the lower end. If you were looking to play games and smash every last bit of proformance out of your PC it ~might be worth it.

But yeah, I'd go with the Q9300.

stchman
July 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Personally, I'd go with the cheaper quad.
I have a Q6600 in my new PC and for insane multitasking quad core is the way to go.
Secondly, there is really not a huge difference in the performance if the higher end Intel Quads and the lower end. If you were looking to play games and smash every last bit of proformance out of your PC it ~might be worth it.

But yeah, I'd go with the Q9300.

I agree, I have a Q6600 and I OC it to 3.0GHz on the stock cooler perfectly stable.

MaxPC did a test and the Q9300 is an even better overclocker as they were able to get 3.5GHz with just a better heatsink/fan.

Still the Q6600 is a great proc, but the 9300 is a little better.

jptechnical
July 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
I would go for the Quad Core as it is better for the future. Also get 4GB RAM and run 64 bit Hardy to take advantage of teh power of that processor. I have a quad core riding a P35 based mobo and it runs great. Also a good video card is an 8800 Nvidia series. They run very well in Hardy.

I don't know the attraction of quickbooks, but some say Gnucash is a decent replacement for the Quicken type stuff.

I like gnucash, seems pretty slick. But, gnucash does not support multiple simultaneous users like QB does, I need at least 2 users in the accounting app at the same time. Soon, I hope, Intuit will come out with a linux client and then the floodgates will open!

Thanks for the response.

jptechnical
July 2nd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Stupid question... you can't OC a dell can you? Forgive me, I am a network guy not a hardware guy.

Danke.

dominiquec
July 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Also got a Q6600 and I'm very happy with it. I'm thinking it should last me for a number of years.

There are a couple of threads that might be helpful for your decision, though. This thread talks about the differences in implementation between AMD and Intel:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=841358 (see post #12).

As for the practical differences between 32-bit and 64-bit Ubuntu, see

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428

My own experience is at http://ubuntuliving.blogspot.com/2008/06/going-full-bore-64.html. I'm also running VirtualBox, by the way.

stchman
July 2nd, 2008, 12:43 AM
Stupid question... you can't OC a dell can you? Forgive me, I am a network guy not a hardware guy.

Danke.

No, usually Dell and other manufacturers neuter the BIOS to remove overclocking options. If you plan on building a system for overclocking I recommend an Asus or Gigabyte motherboard with a P35 chipset for Core 2 processors.