PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] performance of large number of folders in EXT3

pompeyjohn
July 1st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hi there,

I am migrating a very large number of files and folders from an NTFS drive to EXT3.

Navigating this hierarchy in windows was at times, painful. A short term fix was to use multiple sub-folders so there wasnt too many folders at each level. Ideally, all folders would have been at the same level.

Will EXT3 be any better than NTFS in this respect?

In short, can I place all folders at one level without a large performance hit.

Thanks in advance,
John

arsenic23
July 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
I can't say for sure --- but for me, I can notice a large difference in folder response of directories with a large number of files/folders between ext3 and NTFS

Tomatz
July 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Hi there,

I am migrating a very large number of files and folders from an NTFS drive to EXT3.

Navigating this hierarchy in windows was at times, painful. A short term fix was to use multiple sub-folders so there wasnt too many folders at each level. Ideally, all folders would have been at the same level.

Will EXT3 be any better than NTFS in this respect?

In short, can I place all folders at one level without a large performance hit.

Thanks in advance,
John

The gui (nautilus etc) would be the only thing that would slow things down. In midnight commander opening the top level directory would be pretty much instantaneous (within reason).

pompeyjohn
July 2nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks All :)