PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HP laserjet4 printer

johnlvs2run
July 1st, 2008, 06:32 PM
My HP laserjet4 printer is not working on this new computer build with Ubuntu 8.04.
The printer worked 2 years ago with 6.06 on an Emachines.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

phidia
July 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM
You can check the database here (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting) for recent drivers and any special instructions to getting it working. BTW the printer search link wasn't working for me when I tried it.

acron1
July 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
You may also want to try HP website as they have an extensive driver list for Linux.
Good luck

stchman
July 1st, 2008, 11:51 PM
My HP laserjet4 printer is not working on this new computer build with Ubuntu 8.04.
The printer worked 2 years ago with 6.06 on an Emachines.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

What kind of LaserJet 4 is it? 4L, 4P, 4+, 4Si?

If it is the original LaserJet4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HP_LaserJet_4.jpg

I have one of those and it works well using Hardy.

johnlvs2run
July 2nd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Update: The database says the laserjet 4M plus should work perfectly.
No driver recommendation is listed.

HP doesn't have any listing for Linux.

It's a laserjet 4M plus.

Thanks much for the replies and hope. :)

statesec
July 2nd, 2008, 03:43 AM
I have a HP4 Plus and it works pefectly with 6.06 and 8.04 (I have both running currently). It also worked pefectly with 7.04 and 7.10. I didn't do anything special though I am printing over the network using the printer's JetDirect card rather than relying on the parallel port. If I recall correctly the only difference between My HP and yours is that the "M" stood for Mac and basically had Postscript enabled out of the box where mine did (and does) not. So the bottom line is that is should work just fine without any special effort.

johnlvs2run
July 2nd, 2008, 03:54 AM
It should work without downloading a driver then?

Perhaps it is my connection, as I plugged a cable into the motherboard, and plugged the printer cord into that.

johnlvs2run
July 5th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Apparently this printer doesn't need a driver download to work.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting the connection to the motherboard?

Thanks

rushikesh988
July 5th, 2008, 03:13 AM
my HP laser jet printer ia not working too It is just collecting no of jobs to it but not printing anything ??? ITs model is laserjet
:confused:1000

gabhla
July 5th, 2008, 04:56 AM
I had the same issue in Kubuntu. My HP printer was working fine, had worked then didn't. Finally got it resolved. Check out www.linuxprinting.org search on your specific printer and follow the directions exactly. Takes about three minutes, but requires the command line.