PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Blu-ray player question - I'm building a new computer

Jojan
July 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've planned to build a new copmuter this summer. I'm planning to build one that I can have for a several (up to eight) years, so I have been choosing good (but not very expensive) hardware.

When it comes to DVD/CD-player/burner I thought I'd ask if you guys think I should buy a player/burner that also can handle to play Blu-ray discs? I know there's big DRM issues, and it does not have a very good GNU/Linux support (yet, I have read this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD).

So what do you recommend and what experiences do you have? The support will probably become better, and the players themselves might become cheaper.

llama320
July 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
i'd wait on the blu-ray, because the prices are just going to drop. Invest in a dvd writer now, and just (assuming you're building a desktop) leave a slot open for a future blu-ray drive. That way you'll have two cd drives (good for copying cds/dvds and such) and you don't have to overpay for a blu-ray player now

canoe529
July 1st, 2008, 05:58 PM
If you buy a blu-ray drive now, you're just taking a huge gamble on the future of the drive and whether or not the maker will chose to support it under linux. Wait until the market has settled and you are certain you can get decent drivers.

Jojan
July 3rd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks for replies. I think I'll to get it. Keep comming with suggestions and expreiences about Blu-ray either here or in it's own thread.