PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Environment habits

Brunellus
October 31st, 2005, 03:08 PM
I'm running win2k at work, and found myself annoyed at having the taskbar at the bottom. I missed my gnome-panel at home, so I dragged the taskbar up tot he top.

I feel much better now.

For those of you who work on multiple platforms--linux, windows, etc--have you found yourself 'standardizing' your UI preferences (to the degree that they can be) across them?

Pablo_Escobar
October 31st, 2005, 03:15 PM
I'm running win2k at work, and found myself annoyed at having the taskbar at the bottom. I missed my gnome-panel at home, so I dragged the taskbar up tot he top.

I feel much better now.

For those of you who work on multiple platforms--linux, windows, etc--have you found yourself 'standardizing' your UI preferences (to the degree that they can be) across them?

Heck, I did exact the same thing :) Taskbar at the top, Gnome foot as the desktop wallpaper on my XP box at work, just to feel more Linux :D

23meg
October 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Self-dictation works; as soon as you see the splash screen of any "foreign" DE / OS / WM, say to yourself three times "I am now using [insert DE / OS / WM name]" and invoke your custom habit set ;)

BWF89
October 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Whenever I use Gnome or MacOS10 I always drag the taskbar to the bottom of the screen. Eventhough most Gnome users prefer it on the top and most OS10 users prefer it on the left side.

earobinson
October 31st, 2005, 03:29 PM
I cant get my windows at work to feel like gnome :(. 2 task bars it better than one, 4 desktops is better than 1.

nsa_767
October 31st, 2005, 03:58 PM
I cant get my windows at work to feel like gnome :(. 2 task bars it better than one, 4 desktops is better than 1.

If you really want multiple desktops on XP, you can always check M$ powertoys... there is a multiple deskyop app... it is free (as in beer).

Vidar
October 31st, 2005, 04:29 PM
Haha, me too (taskbar at top). :)

Lovechild
October 31st, 2005, 04:31 PM
Miss my GNOME when I'm out.. nothing a bootable Linux cd or ssh/vnc/rdesktop can fix.

bored2k
October 31st, 2005, 04:31 PM
You all need CyGNOME
http://cygnome2.sourceforge.net/

Nu-Buntu
October 31st, 2005, 04:35 PM

Powertoys has been mentioned for multiple desktops. You can also add toolbars by right clicking on any other, OR by just dragging a desktop folder to any edge of the screen.

23meg
October 31st, 2005, 05:16 PM
Unlike the majority here, I use a single bottom Gnome panel. It's not forced by a Windows habit though; I've used a top taskbar for years. I like to be able to easily double click application title bars to roll them up and I don't want a top panel that I can accidentally hit while doing that. Most apps don't have anything important going on near the bottom of their windows so I feel the panel is more suited to there; app stuff (toolbars, menus and title bars) on top, panel at bottom, easy rule. Plus, I suspect there's some scientific human behavior law out there like Fitts' law that says we have a tendency to reach items below horizon level with greater ease, that we find it easier to "gravitate" towards them.

SilentCacophony
October 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM
I use Windows 98 SE occasionally, and there isn't much configurability to the OS without messing with 3rd-party apps. I set up any apps that I use from both OSes similarly, though.

The one thing that drives me nearly insane: the blasted 'ok' and 'cancel' buttons being reversed. I'm constantly thinking that I bookmarked a site from firefox while on windows, only to realize that I accidentally clicked 'cancel' because the order is reversed.

basketcase
October 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM
I actually changed gnome back to a single tool bar on the bottom. Maybe it is because of all the years with MS, but I like it better than 2 tool bars, doesn't really matter if it is on top or bottom, I guess bottom is a little more of a preference.

I have been looking into something like the bar in OSX, but haven't found anything yet. I love that!!

pmj
October 31st, 2005, 05:46 PM
I do the same as 23meg and use only one panel and put it at the bottom of the screen. Since programs typically never put anything you need to interact with in the bottom of the window, you won't end up clicking the panel by mistake. I did that a lot when I had a panel at the top and wanted to close, minimize or drag a window.

imagine
October 31st, 2005, 05:59 PM
I try to use mouse gestures everywhere and sometimes it takes three gestures ("wtf, why doesn't it close?!") until I realize that the current application doesn't support them.

NeoChaosX
October 31st, 2005, 07:09 PM
Unlike the majority here, I use a single bottom Gnome panel. It's not forced by a Windows habit though; I've used a top taskbar for years. I like to be able to easily double click application title bars to roll them up and I don't want a top panel that I can accidentally hit while doing that. Most apps don't have anything important going on near the bottom of their windows so I feel the panel is more suited to there; app stuff (toolbars, menus and title bars) on top, panel at bottom, easy rule.
I'm agreeing with this here. I have my panel on the bottom because it's easy to accidentally close a window when trying to switch programs from the window list or doing anything else on the panel.

But in my case, it's also Windows familiarity. ;)

majikstreet
October 31st, 2005, 09:46 PM
I don't use another OS enough to have that problem, but when I do, I find myself right clicking trying to get a menu (I use fluxbox).

-m

Pathogenix
October 31st, 2005, 11:17 PM
If you really want multiple desktops on XP, you can always check M$ powertoys... there is a multiple deskyop app... it is free (as in beer).

Ewww... but it's awful. If you open an app on desktop 1, on desktop one it shall remain. One of the best things about multiple workspaces is being able to de-clutter when you have two or three disparate tasks happening.

I set the powertoys thang up, used it for half a day and it made me miss Gnome so much I uninstalled it again.

If you've got an NVidia card, the NVidia multiple desktop thang is a little better, but it's still a poor relation.

Kvark
October 31st, 2005, 11:23 PM
Gnome or Windows, panels on top or bottom. I can't see the connection here. In Gnome you can put the panel either on top or bottom or the sides or even have several panels, in Windows you can do exactly the same.

The only notable user interface difference between Gnome and Windows is that Gnome comes with support for multiple workspaces out of the box. They both have the same desktop+panel+menu+windows combo. I don't understand how it can be any harder for a Gnome user to use Window's user interface then to use someone elses personalized Gnome.

Not saying I don't have any problems when using others' computers. One thing that really confuses me regardless of what DE they have is that sometimes clicking on something activates it but other times it doesn't. Clicking on a shortcut on the panel works but clicking on a shortcut on the desktop doesn't so there I'm staring at it doing nothing until I realize that this time it has to be clicked twice instead of once and it has to be done very quickly. And if I guess wrong in the other direction and click twice when one click was enough then it sometimes does the action twice (running two 3D games at once isn't funny) and other times it ignores the secound click. That irregular behaviour always makes me long back to my own computer where a click is always a click.

LorenzoD
October 31st, 2005, 11:45 PM
Unlike most people I never (and I mean *never*) use Windows. But I do use both Gnome and KDE, as well as fvwm, openbox, enlightenment and WindowMaker. Also, I do use another operating system as well, since I spend quite a lot of time using UAE.

I can't stand the default KDE panel layouts. So I change it to be more like Gnome. I really like the default Gnome setup (not the Ubuntu default), with spatial Nautilus. In a way, Gnome feels like a modernized version of the Amiga Workbench.

Collin
November 1st, 2005, 12:46 AM
I always switch windows XP to the classic view with the task bar on the left side of my screen with the auto-hide feature, so most of the time I don't see my task bar. Comes from working in an administrative dept. much easier working that way when you need a dozen spread sheet open 3-4 browser window and the rest.

Under linux I love fluxbox, really subtle taskbar and a right click menu to bring up apps.

raublekick
November 1st, 2005, 12:49 AM
Whether I'm using Gnome or Windows, I prefer the standard setup in each, even though they are completely different. I dunno why, I love Gnome's default top/bottom setup, but if you move that Windows task bar around I'll kill you.

super
November 1st, 2005, 03:02 AM
i just got rid of all my icons on my windows desktop. weird thing is, i have them in my gnome desktop.

when i first started using linux it took me forever to remember that you use / not \. also i used to always type dir instead of ls. stupid DOS! :razz:

qalimas
November 1st, 2005, 04:18 AM
The only time I'm not on my computer, I'm on a friend's at their home, so I never leave home with a live CD ;)

23meg
November 1st, 2005, 04:38 AM
I always switch windows XP to the classic view with the task bar on the left side of my screen with the auto-hide feature, so most of the time I don't see my task bar.

Me too; since I use windows for a few specific power apps which I run one at a time, they're always maximized, and I've set the taskbar to "go under" windows when they're maximized; add to that my habit of using alt+tab to switch tasks and I only see it when starting up and shutting down.

Collin
November 1st, 2005, 07:29 AM
Me too; since I use windows for a few specific power apps which I run one at a time, they're always maximized, and I've set the taskbar to "go under" windows when they're maximized; add to that my habit of using alt+tab to switch tasks and I only see it when starting up and shutting down.

Well I do set my taskbar to go over, the alt-tab function at my old job was simply unpractical, what I could've wished for back then was a dual screen setup.

I have to admit when I have to open 5+ files at the same time I like the way windows handle them (on the task bar aspect) something that kde/gnome/fluxbox and the others are lacking

BoyOfDestiny
November 1st, 2005, 08:47 AM
Well I do set my taskbar to go over, the alt-tab function at my old job was simply unpractical, what I could've wished for back then was a dual screen setup.

I have to admit when I have to open 5+ files at the same time I like the way windows handle them (on the task bar aspect) something that kde/gnome/fluxbox and the others are lacking

Do you mean grouping of the items with similar names? Gnome does that for me...

nsa_767
November 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM
Ewww... but it's awful. If you open an app on desktop 1, on desktop one it shall remain. One of the best things about multiple workspaces is being able to de-clutter when you have two or three disparate tasks happening.

I set the powertoys thang up, used it for half a day and it made me miss Gnome so much I uninstalled it again.

If you've got an NVidia card, the NVidia multiple desktop thang is a little better, but it's still a poor relation.

I never said it was any good... LOL, I personally wouldn't touch it. :razz:

Collin
November 1st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Do you mean grouping of the items with similar names? Gnome does that for me...

nahh grouping is really annoying, win XP does that and I hate it, that's why I put the bar on the left side so it has enough space not to group my items.

now if I could have enough money to have a dual 19" lcd

Luffield
November 1st, 2005, 10:42 PM
I try to use mouse gestures everywhere and sometimes it takes three gestures ("wtf, why doesn't it close?!") until I realize that the current application doesn't support them.
Me too! I really hope Gnome will include mouse gestures in Nautilus, at least, in the not-too-distant future.

Stormy Eyes
November 1st, 2005, 10:45 PM
Me too! I really hope Gnome will include mouse gestures in Nautilus, at least, in the not-too-distant future.

Only if I can turn them off, please.

Luffield
November 2nd, 2005, 01:04 AM
Certainly, I know not everyone likes them.

23meg
November 2nd, 2005, 01:32 AM
nahh grouping is really annoying, win XP does that and I hate it, that's why I put the bar on the left side so it has enough space not to group my items.

If that's the only reason you put it to the left, you should know that grouping can be easily disabled, somewhere in taskbar options I think.

Collin
November 2nd, 2005, 09:01 AM
If that's the only reason you put it to the left, you should know that grouping can be easily disabled, somewhere in taskbar options I think.

Yeah then the more task you have the more they shrink on the taskbar, not really useful when you need quick access to some specific documents or running program.