PDA

View Full Version : GNOME is rather buggy

Afoot
June 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I've never had a GNOME desktop environment that never bugged out on me from time to time. Thankfully they never had any serious consequences though - except for some rather nasty real life side effects ;).

Sometimes, it reorders panel icons. Other times, it randomly changes the language on some of the desktop depending on its mood; a few programs may be in english, the Applications, Places, and System buttons as well, but the menu items are in swedish, as are the month names in the date panel apple. You get the point. And very frequently, it changes the login screen theme to the default GNOME (blue) one, and after a couple of restarts, if it feels better, it may have changed it back to the Ubuntu theme.

So, have you had any problems with GNOME?

ibutho
June 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I personally have had very few problems with GNOME and it works as expected. I think sometimes packages like KDE and GNOME appear to be buggy due to the way distros build them and patches they introduce to "enhance" or add features to the desktop.

EdThaSlayer
June 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM
With GNOME my panels sometimes just vanished. I was amazed though that all of it happened. But a quick terminal command fixed it right up. Don't know how GNOME is doing at the moment though, haven't used it for more than a year. ;)

beniwtv
June 30th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I never had the GDM problem you mentioned, but I did have my panel icons get reordered. However, this doesn't seem to happen since Hardy anymore. *knocks on wood*

Cheers,

Afoot
June 30th, 2008, 10:18 AM
With GNOME my panels sometimes just vanished. I was amazed though that all of it happened. But a quick terminal command fixed it right up. Don't know how GNOME is doing at the moment though, haven't used it for more than a year. ;)
So what are you using at the moment? :)

I never had the GDM problem you mentioned, but I did have my panel icons get reordered. However, this doesn't seem to happen since Hardy anymore. *knocks on wood*

Cheers,
Actually that hasn't happened to me either in Hardy! Thanks for pointing that out, one less thing to be paranoid about. :P

Kulgan
June 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Yeh, had problems with GNOME before. The panel reorders stuff for the first few boots after a fresh install, and sometimes decide to vanish. I don't like KDE much, though. And I need more gadgets than I can be bothered to add to something like fluxbox.

It's not really a huge problem, but I think there could be improvements made here - and there have been. Hardy is definitely more stable than most of the other releases I have tried. And Gnome is still the best, IMHO :P

NovaAesa
June 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Never had problems with it myself.

ingvildr
June 30th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Never had problems with it myself.

Pretty much the same for me, every release after 2.8 has been great. GNOME gets more stable and functional with every release as far as my experience goes.

rheywood
June 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Nope, never had any of those problems. Works great for me.

samjh
June 30th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I've had several Gnome-related crashes, but couldn't figure them out. It's very good in Hardy, but often problematic in Gutsy, slightly less so in Feisty.

I think Gnome goes through rough patches like any software. You have a run of good releases, and then the occasional bad ones.

Overall, the experience has been good, but I was forced to vote for "often", because I've suffered many more than just one or two problems.

BlueSkyNIS
June 30th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I have seen a few bugs, like Sounds being stubborn and wont change sounds until log off - log on, then when I change a theme in Login window it switches to random theme not selected only, icons in panels sometimes gets misplaced...and other few glitches. :popcorn:

FranMichaels
June 30th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I voted for never. Anyway, this business of people mentioning random login themes. Have you checked
System -> Administration -> Login Window

Just seems like an odd coincidence, since it has that as an option... :popcorn:

billgoldberg
June 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM
No problems to speak of.

The ones I had were my own fault.

mrgnash
June 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Don't have a problem with it.

BlueSkyNIS
June 30th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I voted for never. Anyway, this business of people mentioning random login themes. Have you checked
System -> Administration -> Login Window

Just seems like an odd coincidence, since it has that as an option... :popcorn:

Yes, that is the point, it switches to that option by itself.

nick_h
June 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
A couple of times it has failed to pick up my configuration, but this is easily fixed by restarting gnome.

days_of_ruin
June 30th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I have had a few weird things happen in gnome but they probably
were because of compiz and not really gnome fault.

BDNiner
June 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
My only problem with Gnome is the speed, especially of Nautilus. It may be the slowest program on my computer. I was actually thinking of trying another file manager, i have thunar installed but i have not really played with it

Papi-KB7VGW
June 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM
The only issue I have with Gnome Hardy is with the panel. It always comes up on the left and I have to change it to the right. I have searched for a fix but nothing seems to work. I had the same problem occasionally with Feisty but then it fixed itself. Never did find out what fixed it.

Ozor Mox
June 30th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I can relate to the panel objects deciding to move themselves for no apparent reason. Sometimes I'll log in and the trash icon in the bottom right will be up in the top right next to the clock. Or the shutdown icon will be somewhere in the middle of the panel instead of at the top right. Or they'll be a massive gap between icons where there wasn't before...and so on. Luckily only takes a few moments to fix, but I just don't know why it happens!

init1
June 30th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Cheers,
Happened in Hardy yesterday. It's an annoying bug.

jadonchristensen
June 30th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I install Ubuntu and load Kbuntu Desktop. Seems to work the best for me. I prefer Kmail.

Zeotronic
June 30th, 2008, 06:51 PM
The only problem I've ever had with Gnome (that I consider to be a bug) was with Giplet (the IP address panel applet)... I want to have two Giplets open so that I can know my Internet IP address and my network IP address, and I set them accordingly, and they work properly, but whenever I restart my system they both try and report the same thing, which is my problem. However, you have to admit, its a pretty minor problem, and I'm not particularly concerned with it.

jasontu
June 30th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have never experienced issues with GNOME, but then again I only do very very standard things with it. I liked KDE as well when I used it, but for me KDE is just similar to enough yet different enough from Windows that it totally throws me out of whack. It could be said that GNOME has the same relationship to OS X (which I also used extensively) but it's different somehow. Neither GNOME or KDE has proven unstable for me though.

cardinals_fan
June 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I don't use GNOME.

zcartist
May 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have had random theme changes with gnome. When I go appearance to switch back it reverts by itself. Its been happening since Hardy

obscaenvs
June 23rd, 2010, 09:18 AM
I am using Ubuntu 10.04, and I still get a lot of strange panel behaviour and the occasional theme change. So I voted yes, it is *still* rather buggy, even though there's been a few updates since this poll started. I've switched to Xmonad. It does not have many of the great applets that GNOME has, but on the other hand it's rock solid, and it always does what is expected. I'm probably somewhat of an Asperger's syndrome case since even small glitches and bugs like those encountered in the panel really annoys me. Thankfully, none of those are to be found in Xmonad, although the comparison is a bit unfair.

DoubleClicker
June 23rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
i've noticed, that there are bugs that show up, when using some themes, that don't show up with others, The version of elementary, that i first used, caused a lot of problems, but fortunately it was fixed.

TheNessus
June 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
I have a problem with gnome:

The damn panel. so 90's.

V for Vincent
June 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
Occasionally, my notification area comes out a bit garbled. For instance, there could be two bluetooth icons or the wireless icon gets cut off. Not sure if that's due to gnome or ubuntu itself, though.

BrokenKingpin
June 23rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Never had a problem with it.

BigSilly
June 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
Apparently I've already voted on this. I don't remember what I voted, but I have on occasion found Gnome a little buggy. Nothing too serious, but often when booting up I find the window manager hasn't loaded so there's no window buttons etc. I have the Fusion icon on startup though, so I just reload the window decorator with that and it's fine. Be nice if it didn't happen though.

Outside of that, there's the odd thing but nothing worth noting. Gnome is cool. :)

mojota
June 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Even though Gnome may feel ropey i have never thought of it as buggy.

Frogs Hair
June 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
I had an issue with Emerald in 10.04 (now removed) and a slight delay between login and the background loading . also in 10.04. The last being resolved by an update. I had no problem with 9.10.