PDA

View Full Version : Ibex Alpha Screenshot

acelin
June 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Can anyone provide? I heard it looks funny...

acelin
June 30th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Never mind. Found it.

Are they kidding? This looks no better. Just a change of colors.

http://phorolinux.com/images/u810a1/ubuntu810-desktop.jpg

doorknob60
June 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
It's certainly better, the old theme is getting...meh. I'd like to see more than just a menu though :whistle:

keiichidono
June 30th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't expect it to look different at this early alpha stage. Same way how Windows 7 looks almost exactly like Vista right now, It'll change as it nears final.

smartboyathome
June 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Never mind. Found it.

Are they kidding? This looks no better. Just a change of colors.

http://phorolinux.com/images/u810a1/ubuntu810-desktop.jpg
My jaw dropped with that one. It actually looks worse than Hardy. The colors are just... horrible, to be quite honest. It actually does remind me of pooh now, not even chocolate (which is a richer brown).

acelin
June 30th, 2008, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't expect it to look different at this early alpha stage. Same way how Windows 7 looks almost exactly like Vista right now, It'll change as it nears final.

Windows 7 isnt exact anymore... it looks a little different, meaning better.

This is not better. Its awful. Its muddy and unusable. Its much much worse.

zmjjmz
June 30th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Am I the only one who finds this one half decent?
I mean, it's kinda bad (yours (acelin) is far better, except for the italicized maximize...), but it isn't _horrible_.

acelin
June 30th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah Im changing the color of mine too. Something lighter. I hate the brown its in right now.

doorknob60
June 30th, 2008, 06:51 AM
If you don't like it, use KDE \\:D/ It's better anyways :D

smartboyathome
June 30th, 2008, 06:55 AM

No thanks. Tried it, hated it, so I now go between LXDE and E17 and GNOME. :D

zachtib
June 30th, 2008, 06:57 AM

I've considered migrating to KDE 4.1, but I still tend to prefer GTK apps to their QT counterparts

doorknob60
June 30th, 2008, 07:08 AM
For the most part, I like KDE apps better than GTK ones. Amarok > Any GTK program I've used; K3b > Brasero, gnomebaker, etc; Konqueror > Thunar and Nautilus. And of course you can still run GTK apps too :-P You don't have to though, Linux is about choice. Both Gnome and KDE (and many of the other WM's/DE's out there) are all great choices, I just happen to prefer KDE's customizability and featurerichness appealing. This is gonna turn into a KDE vs Gnome flamewar if we don't get back on topic soon though :-P

PrimoTurbo
June 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM
That's the most horrible color combination I have ever seen on a theme.

Dark muddy colors? They better change this theme before the final, they need to focus on creating a very slick, attractive and visually pleasing theme that will attract people to try the os.

The only combination that can really work is light grey and some type of orange. Forget about brown colors, they don't work for a desktop environment...

Cherry Cotton
June 30th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Please... there are legitimate reasons to use either one.

On the Intrepid look, yes, I don't like it either. I wrote about it here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5289586&postcount=15) Basically, I'm terrified of Ubuntu trying to be "sleek" or "impressive" on its limited means. I think simple and humanistic have always been its key words. ...That, and I've always been in love with the Ubuntu flesh tones, and I'm not a fan of them being superseded by dark gray.

King_Critter
June 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
That theme is so bad, I'm actually doubting it's authenticity. Can anyone else confirm it? I'd download the alpha myself, but with dial up that would take about a week. <_<

smbm
June 30th, 2008, 07:53 AM
That theme is so bad, I'm actually doubting it's authenticity. Can anyone else confirm it? I'd download the alpha myself, but with dial up that would take about a week. <_<

What does it matter? It's clearly not the finished theme.

There's ~2.5 months until it is released so I imagine the theme will change quite a lot in that time.

FranMichaels
June 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Am I the only one who finds this one half decent?
I mean, it's kinda bad (yours (acelin) is far better, except for the italicized maximize...), but it isn't _horrible_.

No you aren't alone. I think the theme needs work. But kudos to them for doing something different.

I even had a small rant for that when I posted my desktop screenshots a while back.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5233259#post5233259

The white window and gray panels, shouldn't be the default anymore. I don't think it's usable (or maybe it's just me that doesn't enjoy staring into a light source for several hours) and frankly it's old. Windows 3 (although this had even more white in it... blech) through all the iterations up to XP pretty much the same theme (gag.)

I applaud the art team, they have plenty of time left to polish it. I think they can make a great theme, and yes I'm biased in that I don't want Ubuntu to look like Windows, or OS X (I guess, gray window panels i believe also right?)

PrimoTurbo
June 30th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Here is a quick and rough mockup of what I would do instead.

pt123
June 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I like it, this brown is a lot more classy, as it is in between black and brown.

As for this repeated mention of KDE is rather silly as one could change theme effortlessly in Gnome.

Anyway KDE3 is ugly, and Konqueror is one of the most disgusting applications ever created.

fatality_uk
June 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Are people REALLY expecting a difference as if it were between XP and Vista in 8.04 and 8.10? It wont be. For a radical change, that would have to be done upstream, and that's not likely to happen. The change to KDE4 was a huge shift, but as we all know, it was a bugfest and is only now getting stable I think.

All us Gnome users, just kick back, relax and enjoy a stable desktop :D

Afoot
June 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
It's authentic alright. Just check out this phoronix article:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_810_alpha1&num=1

I hope they will go away from that "muddy" brown as someone put it to a more brown + (pure) white details theme as to look more like nature or chocolate and vanilla or something. On second thought I don't really care why they go away from it, I just hope that they do that. :S

NovaAesa
June 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
I actually like this better than any colour system Ubuntu has had before. I guess everyone just has different tastes.

jeffc313
June 30th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I actually like this better than any colour system Ubuntu has had before. I guess everyone just has different tastes.

I _want_ to like it. I've liked dark themes on windows, I liked the theme on ubuntu studio a while back,, but this, especially combined with the hardy wallpaper is just awful.

kevdog
June 30th, 2008, 01:39 PM
When is the Ibex alpha available? I know the alpha release date was delayed, however was it released stealthly?

BackwardsDown
June 30th, 2008, 01:42 PM
It was released just like any other, with an announcement in the mailing list. You can find it here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/alpha-1/

andrewabc
June 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Please note that the alpha does not include a live cd. That is planned for alpha 2.

jpeddicord
June 30th, 2008, 02:35 PM
The alpha was released, however note that it was available for more than a month now for download as a pre-alpha. All it takes is a change in your sources.list. I'm not going to tell if you don't already know; it's not a good idea to upgrade during the alpha phase.

And yes, the theme is real. Personally, I think it's too brown like the rest of you. Maybe a more dark orange/black centric theme would work, but this... it just doesn't fit. Has some nice transparency effects with some GNOME apps though.

Keyper7
June 30th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Ubuntu satisfies a lot of my needs, but we don't have to go as far as making it a replacement for sunlight. :)

Seriously, that's way too bright in my humble opinion (but just a matter of taste).

acelin
June 30th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah things will change- there will be a big change. I am on the art team, and this has spawned a flurry of discussion.

Methuselah
June 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM
It's next to impossible to come up with a theme that suits everybody's taste. I quite like it.

the yawner
July 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM
From Ars Technica's article:

Dark colors have traditionally not been particularly well supported or executed in GNOME themes, but there has been a recent trend in that direction among some GNOME developers. Having a dark theme by default in a prominent distribution will likely help to expose some of the most significant issues with dark themes, which will ensure that they are better supported in the future.

acelin
July 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Stop posting that. There will be news of what is going on with 8.10's theme in the next few days.

zmjjmz
July 2nd, 2008, 03:40 AM
Is it possible to get the theme by itself?
I'd like to try it out.
(actually, it looks like a mockup... is it?)

LMP900
July 2nd, 2008, 04:16 AM
Is it possible to get the theme by itself?
I'd like to try it out.
(actually, it looks like a mockup... is it?)

Yep. :) I've actually been using the theme in Ubuntu 8.04 since I ran across the Alpha screenshots.

Check here for details: https://launchpad.net/~kwwii/+archive

dizee
July 2nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
I think that looks way better than what we have had before. It makes Ubuntu look very distinctive.

madjr
July 2nd, 2008, 05:12 AM

i seen similar themes in gnome-look

also you have some nice themes and your desktop pics look cool

are you creating that theme?

is nice i would use it