PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Wireless + Laptop

RMD94
June 30th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Hello,

i am new to Ubuntu, could anyone tell me how to connect to the wireless network? I have Asus Eee PC and i am usinng Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN card. I have already enabled the LAN card in Hardware Drivers, I just don't know how to set-up the wireless network. I right clicked on (the two computers icon on the top right) and clicked edit wireless networks but when the ask me for entering the bssids i can't type anything in the box..... I even tried typing the following in the terminal:

sudo lshw -C network and i get

pratibha@pratibha-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for pratibha:
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter
vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: a0
serial: 00:1e:8c:37:ef:97
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=ATL2 driverversion=1.0.40.2 duplex=full firmware=L2 ip=192.168.2.16 latency=0 link=yes module=atl2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 22:4e:fe:ff:50:75
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes
pratibha@pratibha-laptop:~$

actually this is my my mom's laptop, right now i am using wired connection. could someone plz help me????

plz don't forget to mention how to set-up the wireless connection....... :lolflag:

plz help me!!!! plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz plz

pastalavista
June 30th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Does the Eee have a physical switch on it to turn the wireless on/off? My Acer does and it confused me once to think the network was broken when actually the switch was just in the off position. Be sure it's turned on.

RMD94
June 30th, 2008, 04:51 AM
no it doesn't have any switch.... the only way i can turn on and off my wireless is by holding down the function key on the keybord (Fn) and F2..

-Thanks

RMD94
June 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM
what i am asking is: i want to set up my wireless network. e.g. in Windows we can search the available networks around and click the one u r looking for and add the WEP key... How can i do that in Linux....

plz plz plz help me

pastalavista
June 30th, 2008, 05:06 AM
maybe this link will help

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=798485&highlight=eee+wireless

I have found that with a little patience, when I have a problem, I can usually search the forum to find the solution and don't need to post my own request for help.

To configure the network just right-click the icon in the tray-panel and click "edit wireless networks". You'll need to know the encryption type and passkey. after you configure it, the "keyring manager" should remember it for you.

RMD94
June 30th, 2008, 05:41 AM
i know the name of the ssid and the WEP key.. but when i click on it they ask me for the name and when i enter the name they ask for something bssids and i cannot type anything over their....