PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] KNetworkManager manual config issue

Dexter Saint Jock
June 29th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Been using Ubuntu on my desktop since January and I love it. I am curious about Kubuntu so I wiped my laptop and installed it.

It is an HP Pavilion 5330us with a Broadcom wireless chipset. Yeah!!! Using fwcutter and the restricted driver manager I was able to get the wireless to recognize the local networks.

I would enter the key to my network but it would not accept it. I tried to manually configure the connection but this did not work either. Now I cannot get rid of the manual config icon or see a list of available networks.

My question is how do I go about returning KNetworkManager to default state where I can enter my key but choose different encryption type? I have not made any other changes to the clean install.

I'm trying to be as specific as possible but I am still pretty new to all of this and am not sure what info is needed to help.

By the way, you guys ROCK!! :guitar: The search function is my friend. :lolflag: But it has not helped me much in this case.

TIA

Dexter Saint Jock
June 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I did manage to get online using the manual config but I did not manage view a list of available networks. I chose hexidecimal encoding for my wep key. Worked like a charm.

But it's kind-of a moot point...I am going to try a different distro. Gonna stick with Ubuntu on my desktop but will try something a little different on my laptop.

D

daemonfly
June 30th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I have a older Dell with a problematic Broadcom card (BCM4306). Xubuntu's NetworkManager doesn't play nice with it frequently have to manually select/enable the networks I connect to, over & over.

Gonna try out WICD as it's supposedly known to work better with the problematic Broadcom cards. Can't do it right this moment, as I'm at work, but as soon as I get home, I'm gonna give it a shot. http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

It's not really the distro itself that is the issue, just a select piece of software that doesn't work well with these cards.