PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samba troubles

Chevalier
June 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM
This is my first post. I am a novice Ubuntu user (2 monthe) and would be grateful for help with Samba. i have read many posts and advice on the subject; pardon me if I have overlooked the obvious.

I have been trying to connect my Ubuntu 6.06 PC to a Windows XP PC by using Samba. The two computers are connected through a router, the XP (IP 192.168.1.100) through wireless connection, Ubuntu (IP 192.168.1.101) with an ethernet cable.

From Ubuntu I can go straight to a Windows shared directory by typing the IP address (192.168.1.100) into the file browser and get files from the shared directory. However, if I try to access the same Windows share from Ubuntu by going through the Network Servers in "Places," it takes longer, and when it eventually finds a "Windows Network", the shared folders are nowhere to be seen.

Similarly, if I approach the Ubuntu shared folder from the XP, I can (sometimes) see Ubuntu in the Windows workgroup folder, but I can't cannect, and am told that \\Ubuntu is not available and that I might not have permission.

My smb.conf is given below. This is the latest and probably simplest of many versions; none of them has worked. In some of them I had a "host allowed" entry with the IP address of the ubuntu machine and the localhost IP (127...) as well. I took them out because I thought they might be redundant.

As for the shared folders settings, I also have the Ubuntu "Shared folders settings" > "Share folder" > "General Windows sharing settings" set to "Do not use WINS server"

Under "Network settings" I have the Static IP address options filled in.

One further point: various samba related commands don't seem to produce any results, for example findsmb or sudo smbtree. They seem to run, but no information is given, as follows:

mike@Ubuntu:~$ findsmb

*=DMB
+=LMB
IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION
---------------------------------------------------------------------
mike@Ubuntu:~$

Here is the smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2008/06/28 16:04:22

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = %h server
obey pam restrictions = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
dns proxy = No
ldap ssl = no
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /tmp
create mask = 0700
printable = Yes
browseable = No

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[MLK]
path = /media/hdb1/Share
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

Any advice you may have will be gratefully received.
MC

Iowan
June 30th, 2008, 03:48 AM
For connecting to the XP share from Ubuntu, Places>Connect to Server works better for me.
To share from Ubuntu, you will probably need to install Samba-server (client comes installed by default - server does not) and perhaps smbfs. You will also need to verify your Windows user has an account on the Ubuntu machine AND on Samba. More details available here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605).