PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Still no wireless with bcm4306 in Hardy

captgadget
June 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I have removed fwcutter, installed ndiswrapper and wicd and still can not connect to the wireless bcm4306. Nothing finds the ip address. When I run iwconfig wlan0 it comes back with no essid.

If one didn't love playing with Linux this is exactly why people choose Mac or Windoze!!

ScaredNoob
June 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I have similar issues with bcm4306 in Hardy. I went with the restricted driver manager, (ie fwcutter) and now my wireless connection is only 1 mb/s. In everything up till Hardy, I got 11 mb/s (b). However, 1 mb/s is usable, and I do have wireless internet. If you want to go this route, reinstall Hardy and go to system > administration > hardware drivers and check to enable its usage, including the box to extract and fetch firmware when the time comes. At least you will have wifi.

daemonfly
June 30th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I have the BCM4306 in my Dell. I installed bc-fwcutter, then put "b43" into /etc/modules. This worked a LOT better than the bcm43xx module thats usually suggested.

I use Xubuntu, and still have a few issues with NetworkManager (known to have problems with many Broadcom cards). Once I get home from work, I'm going to replace NetworkManager with Wicd http://wicd.sourceforge.net/ as it's mentioned to work a lot better with BCM stuff.

The driver worked fine, NetworkManager just could never consistantly remember what wireless network I was running on.

untermensch
June 30th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Either go back to fwcutter ( I never had a problem with slow internet with it) or do what daemonfly. that seems like a pretty good idea.