PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless does not automatically start

breggol
June 28th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I have a HP Pavilion DV8000 series laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. when I boot the laptop, it does not automatically detect my wireless home network. The led is on, however. When I disable wireless by clicking the wifi button en enable it again, the laptop starts detecting wireless networks and it connects to my home network. Of course, this is some kind of annoying.

Can I modify a setting that will have my laptop detect and connect to a wireless network automatically after booting?

BTW, I have already read thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=545960 and am unsure if some of this information might be useful.

Thank you all in advance.

Bubba64
June 28th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Did you ever try the on board network manager before the wifi program.

breggol
June 28th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Did you ever try the on board network manager before the wifi program.
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please explain.

breggol
June 28th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Would this thread be of help to me?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

Bubba64
June 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Please explain.

There is a stock network manager for wireless it looks like 2 little monitors in the top panel. There is also a program in add remove called wifi I am just trying to figure out what your using.

Bubba64
June 28th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Would this thread be of help to me?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

Still not knowing what your connecting with I couldn't say, personally I have not had problems with the stock network wireless setup.

breggol
June 28th, 2008, 06:52 AM
There is a stock network manager for wireless it looks like 2 little monitors in the top panel. There is also a program in add remove called wifi I am just trying to figure out what your using.
I have only installed the default Desktop CD and have not changed anything. After a boot I can see the two monitors with an exclamation mark. When I click it, I can only select wired networks (which is not available, since I only use wire for my desktop (and at the initial install). When I click the wireless button on the keyboard of the laptop (next to the led) twice (switch it off and on) then the two monitors become animated planets and I eventually am connected.

(The first time I had to enter my WEP key, not anymore now.)

Bubba64
June 28th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I have only installed the default Desktop CD and have not changed anything. After a boot I can see the two monitors with an exclamation mark. When I click it, I can only select wired networks (which is not available, since I only use wire for my desktop (and at the initial install). When I click the wireless button on the keyboard of the laptop (next to the led) twice (switch it off and on) then the two monitors become animated planets and I eventually am connected.

(The first time I had to enter my WEP key, not anymore now.)

When you left click open the manual setting it seems like your probably on roam so it wont go to your manual setting and open with everything running.