PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu MID.

toupeiro
June 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Just curious if anyone is playing with this and has had any success with getting it to work on an iPod touch device?

joeyjoejo
July 4th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I was wondering exactly the same thing, it would be really good if it would work on it, then I would never have to use itunes (i've already modded mine using the humantouch theme so it looks more like ubuntu but the real thing would be better)

When I looked at the ubuntu page about the MID version the harware it describes sounds like it ought to work, but my searching only led here. I'm not sure how you'd go about installing it anyway... would it be possible to use ssh to get it on and then run it from there? but then it would have to try and change the OS on the fly... perhaps someone could make a firmware which could be put on which loads this? and could the ubuntu community make an "official" firmware installer which you could put on using itunes?

and, just thinking out loud here... would it need to be signed to be installed as if it was a firmware update?

myusername
July 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM
this would take a great deal of time and effort seeing as how we still cant decode the itunesdb on the ipod correctly in ubuntu. but there is a site where the are trying to get ipod touch linux (the site name escapes me at the moment)

rottenpossum
August 4th, 2008, 03:10 PM
this would take a great deal of time and effort seeing as how we still cant decode the itunesdb on the ipod correctly in ubuntu. but there is a site where the are trying to get ipod touch linux (the site name escapes me at the moment)

Just wondering if that would still be a hangup if you didn't intend to use itunes at all? I'm in the early stages of trying to completely migrate from Win XP to ubuntu atm so I'm not even sure how you would sync your music from ubuntu to an iPod so pardon the possible "noobness" of my question.