PDA

View Full Version : What can I do for Ubuntu that I can actually put on my resume?

wersdaluv
June 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I am an AB Psychology student and I want to work for the HR department of an IT company when I graduate next year. I spend much of my time learning about Linux and trying to help other users and I want to put my experience with Linux on my resume.

I can't put being active in the forums and irc channels on my resume. I can't develop software yet or contribute to Ubuntu artwork (I think, because I don't gimp or anything like that).

What can I do for Ubuntu that I can actually put on my resume?

klange
June 28th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I put my limited work for Compiz-Fusion on my resume, but that's probably outside of your realm...

If you provide support on the forums/IRC why can't you put that on your resume? I have "Active in open source communities" clearly listed on my resume.

ad_267
June 28th, 2008, 02:05 AM
I can't put being active in the forums and irc channels on my resume.

Why not? That shows you have experience with Ubuntu/Linux and have been able to help out new users with problems and getting started.

23meg
June 28th, 2008, 02:33 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu may give you some ideas.

lisati
June 28th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I am an AB Psychology student and I want to work for the HR department of an IT company when I graduate next year. I spend much of my time learning about Linux and trying to help other users and I want to put my experience with Linux on my resume.

I can't put being active in the forums and irc channels on my resume. I can't develop software yet or contribute to Ubuntu artwork (I think, because I don't gimp or anything like that).

What can I do for Ubuntu that I can actually put on my resume?
Being active in the Ubuntu community is something positive that relates to problem solving - isn't an important part of the art of psychology about helping people others solve problems?

wersdaluv
June 28th, 2008, 02:45 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu may give you some ideas.

Yep. I'm thinking about documentation and translation but I don't know if that is worth putting on my resume.

wersdaluv
June 28th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I put my limited work for Compiz-Fusion on my resume, but that's probably outside of your realm...

If you provide support on the forums/IRC why can't you put that on your resume? I have "Active in open source communities" clearly listed on my resume.

Why not? That shows you have experience with Ubuntu/Linux and have been able to help out new users with problems and getting started.

I just think that it wouldn't matter much for those who will hire me because anyone can say such a thing. I mean, I have no diploma or any legal document to back that up and saying that I'm active with those things is ambiguous.

Colro
June 28th, 2008, 03:00 AM
In my experience, employers really look for those little things. If you mention that you're involved in a community providing support for Linux users, it will impress your employer that you're willing to volunteer your free time to help others. You don't need to have something on a plaque for every single entry on your resume.

Lostincyberspace
June 28th, 2008, 03:59 AM
If they ask you for proof just log on and show them you profile and all your beans/posts and make sure they know that only meaning full posts count.

madjr
June 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
you need to word it right.

remember this you doing is collaboration.

it's like being part of the red-cross, greenpeace, local help group, etc.

you should even join an Ubuntu LoCo Team

usually employers only need reference that you're an active member of a group

koenn
June 28th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I just think that it wouldn't matter much for those who will hire me because anyone can say such a thing. I mean, I have no diploma or any legal document to back that up and saying that I'm active with those things is ambiguous.

Like Colro said, it's one of those little extras that can make your resume stand out from the rest.
When you get interviewed, they'll probably ask about it, to check if it's not just an empty phrase and find out more.

23meg
June 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I mean, I have no diploma or any legal document to back that up and saying that I'm active with those things is ambiguous.

I don't know if you're interested and/or eligible, but Ubuntu membership (http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newmember) may be the kind of "badge" that you're looking for.

kevdog
June 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I'd put in boldtype and italics that you know KevDog on the ubuntu forums -- in fact that's about the only thing you need to put on your resume. Everyone knows who I am. If you future employer has never heard of me, its likely a place you wouldn't fit in anyway.