PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install thunderbird?

esbo
June 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
How to install thunderbird?

I have downloaded it and unzipped it.
Now what?
I am running from CD.

PinkFloyd102489
June 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Open up Synaptic and install the thunderbird pacakge.

avtolle
June 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM
You are running from CD, so I infer you have not installed Ubuntu yet. Is this correct? If so, installing Thunderbird (whether from the repositories, which is recommended, or how you are trying to do it) will install Thunderbird into RAM, as that is where Ubuntu is running. So, once you restart your computer, Thunderbird will not be there, and you will need to do it again (and again and again) until such time as you permanently install Ubuntu.

bumanie
June 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM
In terminal
sudo apt-get install thunderbird

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 12:49 AM
You are running from CD, so I infer you have not installed Ubuntu yet. Is this correct? If so, installing Thunderbird (whether from the repositories, which is recommended, or how you are trying to do it) will install Thunderbird into RAM, as that is where Ubuntu is running. So, once you restart your computer, Thunderbird will not be there, and you will need to do it again (and again and again) until such time as you permanently install Ubuntu.

Yes I was wondering about that, I am back on my PC now and checking to see where it was downloaded to if it was still there. I am not bothered if it disappears I just want to try stuff out at the monent.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Open up Synaptic and install the thunderbird pacakge.

What synaptic where will I find it?

wrtpeeps
June 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
What synaptic where will I find it?

In your program menu somewhere, though I am not 100% sure where gnome puts it.

esbo
June 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
In terminal

Can't I do it from 'the windows' the GUI?
Or is that Synaptic

wrtpeeps
June 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Can't I do it from 'the windows' the GUI?
Or is that Synaptic

Synaptic is the GUI for installing programs/packages. Look on the menu on your desktop where you browse programs to find it. It might be in a submenu called System or Accessories or something like that.

avtolle
June 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Under System>>Administration>>Synaptic Package Manager. Use the search function, type in thunderbird, and after it searches, it should come up (it may be listed as mozilla-thunderbird, I cannot recall). Mark it for installation, click on Apply, and that should do it. Hope this helps.

wrtpeeps
June 28th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Under System>>Administration>>Synaptic Package Manager. Use the search function, type in thunderbird, and after it searches, it should come up (it may be listed as mozilla-thunderbird, I cannot recall). Mark it for installation, click on Apply, and that should do it. Hope this helps.

Yea that's where it is!

Thanks. :)