PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to arrange icons on Desktop?

LifeTheHound
June 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM
In any folder, there's always the option to "sort files by..." and gives you a list of options.

1. How come the desktop doesn't let you do this?
2. How can I do it without going through all the files by hand?
3. How can I make the files "Auto-arrange" like in XP? The option in ubuntu right now doesn't snap them into the right positions (the spacing is wrong and everything, especially after I sort by name).

larryfroot
June 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
ok, mate...here's one possible way. I haven't used it myself, but I have seen the options on my way to somewhere else. There are a fair few options, so I daresay you will find the one for your needs, just experiment a bit.

The application you need is the gnome configuration editor. its not on the default menu, but you can add it by going into system>preferences>main menu. Click on system tools in the left hand pane, then tick configuration editor in the right hand pane, close and return to applications>system tools and theres the configuration editor.

So open up the editor and click on the dinky arrow next to apps, scroll down and do the same to the arrow next to nautilus. Then a new row of options present themselves to you. Nautilus is responsible for drawing the icons onto the desktop...amongst all those options there must be something that can help you. I hope. As I said, I was on my way somewhere else when it caught my eye. Hope this helps

laurenipsum
August 23rd, 2008, 07:16 AM
I'm also looking for a way to auto-arrange desktop icons. Tried this and got lost - there were too many options, and I didn't know what the relevant designation (key?) was. So this is what you said, in summary:

1. Unhide the Configuration Editor.
I checked the "System Tools" box, but it kept unchecking itself. Turns out I had to check/enable an application within the "System Tools" menu before the menu itself could be checked/enabled.

2. Look for the options somehow.
Like I said, there were simply too many keys. I looked up desktop>gnome and couldn't find anything that could possibly affect how the icons are rendered. Also, is this safe practice - directly editing the keys themselves?

aviramof
February 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM
any new information?does any one know how to do it?

thanks in advance.

zness01
May 12th, 2010, 03:20 AM
To auto-arrange along the left side of the screen by name:
-> Right click your desktop
-> Click "Clean Up by Name"

super kim
May 12th, 2010, 03:35 AM
To auto-arrange along the left side of the screen by name:
-> Right click your desktop
-> Click "Clean Up by Name"

that's awesome, only one bean and he solves a puzzle unanswered since february. is there a slightly more complicated way to do this though, just in case this method is too simple.

aviramof
May 14th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Ubuntu don't have auto arrange option in the desktop at all that is one of the reasons why i stopped using ubuntu at all becauae it's file managers are not as good as winodows 7 file manager.

If only ubuntu had better files managers it would have been great but there isn't so i don't it can be very usefull for any serious file managaing.

super kim
May 14th, 2010, 11:36 AM
i stopped using ubuntu at all becauae it's file managers

yea i always found it hard to do any serious file managing when under constant attack by malware/viruses.
i also find having the ability to add bookmarks to folders useful, drag and drop files to tabs, much faster file transfer, ability to name files/folders as i want, stretch icons, add emblems, set the icons to compact view. no sorry i can't see where your coming from.

please could you explain why windows file manager is better? if you give me good enough reason then i'll be sure to rush out and buy myself a copy, i understand it only costs £70 these days. just imagine if a £70 donation was made by ubuntu every user who could afford it. the point is, ubuntu developers have gone a lot further with a lot less.

ankspo71
May 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi,
The KDE desktop can sort icons. See screenshot. This would require installing a second desktop though, or using Kubuntu.

aviramof
May 15th, 2010, 02:46 PM
First of all i don't have problems with malware/viruses if you know what your doing then you don't need to worry about it.

Second i'm sure that all other things you menioned already exist in windows 7 or you can use third party software to do that.

And third ubuntu don't have auto arrange on dekstop and only have clean by name option and tend to pile files one on top of the other,
kde and etc have some more options on desktop but no auto arrange and no ubuntu version have the ability to sort files in "my computer"
like windows 7 does as you can see in the picture.

You might not understand the languges but you can see that you can sort files there by a lot more then the six options ubuntu have.

And windows have more then three view options like compact it has:
very big symbouls,big symbouls,medium symbouls,small symbouls,list,details,suqares or what ever they call it in english and content.

So if you try to compare ubuntu to xp file manager i can understand that but windows 7 file manager is something eles completly.