PDA

View Full Version : Graduate Project on Linux !

hellmet
June 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Next semester, (fall) I'd be graduating, and we are required to do a project on anything related to Computer Science. WIth my special interest in Linux, and keeping in mind that I want to make a career out of it, I want to do a project based on Linux. I want to start right away, so I don't turn my project in late.

I'm looking forward to suggestions from you guys on the possible projects(topics) that I can take up - at the graduate level. I'm quite comfortable with Linux and the CLI, and I have fiddled with software like mySQL, Apache, etc.

What do you think will make for an interesting graduate project on Linux?

Thanks in advance!

earthmeLon
June 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Whatever it is, it should make toast :D

mips
June 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Whatever it is, it should make toast :D

...and spread butter & Marmite on ;)

(4M)Stephen
June 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
make your own distro and make it's name be "toast"

hellmet
June 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Guys.. please be serious.

Nessa
June 28th, 2008, 08:45 AM
It's not a bad idea. Creating your own Linux distro...

Moustacha
June 28th, 2008, 08:50 AM
What's something that could improve your computer experience, or someone else's? Make something easier than it currently is.

lisati
June 28th, 2008, 08:53 AM
...and spread butter & Marmite on ;)
I've heard that some Americans don't like Marmite. Is this correct?

It's not a bad idea. Creating your own Linux distro...
Ubuntu for students? Oh, we have Edubuntu for that..... maybe a variant that's suitable for older students.....

What's something that could improve your computer experience, or someone else's? Make something easier than it currently is.
Maybe writing up your experience of creating your own distro....

NovaAesa
June 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Why not write a small application that can be run from Linux? Easy enough, yet can still be as complex as you want it to be.

wenuswilson
June 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Guys.. please be serious.

Create a distro for cars -- GM has Windoze and I think Saturn has Apple.

Make a Linux distro for... Honda.

NovaAesa
June 28th, 2008, 09:02 AM
So when you say 'graduate' project, does this mean you are graduating from High School or University?

FranMichaels
June 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hmm. I like this fellow's software projects.

http://www.raphnet.net/programmation/programmation_en.php

Some are a bit electronic and emulation related, but maybe something there will inspire you.

Is there some specific aspect of Linux you are especially interested in and want to build on?
Drivers? Applications? GUI/CLI? Sound? etc.

NovaAesa
June 28th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Are you good with progamming? If so, the I have heaps of suggestions.

FuturePilot
June 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
You could set up a server. Install something on it like Drupal or Wordpress, or even setup a forum on it. Set it up with FTP and SSH access as well. Sounds like fun :)

hellmet
June 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Graduating from University.
I'm not all that great with programming. My logic is excellent, as seen from my previous experience with C, but I don't like coding much though. I've heard a lot about Python and wouldn't mind learning it, and I guess its easier to learn Python if you know Java (which I do).

The idea of setting up a server seems like a good idea. Is there something 'useful' that I can contribute to the university with a server setup? I mean what makes a good 'Linux Server' project?

phen
June 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I would like the idea of contributing something to the community with my master thesis. e.g. an add-on for octave. but thats not exactly a computer science subject. maybe you find a software project that you find interesting, and you have a good idea to improve or extend it.

Lostincyberspace
June 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
You should make it so that when you run
rm -rf / you get a bunch of messages telling you this could wipe your system and is very potentially fatal and do you wish to continue.

zgornel
June 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Create a small Serial/Paralel circuit board with an IR sensor and an Remote. Then create a kernel module driver that processes the sequences you input with the remote and stops the computer or any other job you can think of. It is useful and it is the first step towards world domination.

dnns123
June 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
create a plug-in for abiword that integrates it with gnumeric. I hate it when I need a spreadsheet in Abiword because its not possible.

I like the idea above, edit the source of BASH and create a safety measure for destructive commands. You'll be thanked by noobs around for that.

mustang
June 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Install linux on a router. Have it control a sprinkler system with a cronjob or something.

spanella47
June 28th, 2008, 05:15 PM
you should really browse the Brainstorm, theres tons of ideas for large and small projects there that are much more helpful to the linux community than making a new distribution. check it out:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

hessiess
June 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM
create a windows virus that prints, windows sucks! use Linux. then bluescreens.

hellmet
June 30th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Anymore ideas guys?

kpkeerthi
June 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=611788

earthmeLon
July 3rd, 2008, 08:32 PM
On a more serious note, I just found out about Linux Media Center Edition (LMCE). Here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2176025602905109829&hl=en) is a cool video on it's functionality.

I hope this might give you some clever ideas :D

Let us know