PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linksys WUSB54GC Problems

Darthape
June 27th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I have the Linksys WUSB54GC usb card and I know that it should work out of the box with 8.04 but it doesn't. I believe that Ubuntu recognized that I had a wireless adapter because I can edit wireless networks but it does not show any networks or have any other function at all.

pytheas22
June 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Please post the output of:

iwconfig
lshw -C Network
lsusb

that will help us to figure out what's wrong.

jonofan
June 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I have the same issue.

~# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan3 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption key:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

~# lshw -C Network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:1a:73:41:dd:fa
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+bcmwl5 driverversion=1.52+Broadcom,10/12/2006, 4.100. latency=0 link=no module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: PRO/100 VE Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 8
bus info: pci@0000:08:08.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:16:d3:9a:77:30
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.23-k4-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.54.103 latency=66 link=yes maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 module=e100 multicast=yes port=MII speed=100MB/s
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan3
serial: 00:21:29:68:ad:e1
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 13b1:0020 Linksys
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 0c45:62c0 Microdia
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

jonofan
June 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Have fixed this by using the XP driver on the WUSB54GC disc under ndiswrapper.

dragonfire2190
July 2nd, 2008, 01:35 AM
Yeah same problem.

How do you do that - As stated above?

pytheas22
July 2nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
How do you do that - As stated above?

Basically, you need to get the Windows drivers for your wireless card. If they come as a .zip or .exe file, you need to extract it and find the file within with the extension .inf. Copy the .inf file, as well as any files ending in .cat, .sys and .bin, to the Ubuntu system.

Then you do:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper* ndisgtk
sudo ndisgtk

A GUI will pop up and ask you where the .inf file is. You find it, click ok, reboot and you should have a wireless connection.

Depending on your individual situation, however, it's not always as simple as this. You should read the community documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper) for a more complete guide to ndiswrapper.

Also remember that if your Ubuntu system is 64-bit, the Windows drivers that you load into ndiswrapper also need to be 64-bit. This is a common source of confusion and frustration.

dragonfire2190
July 2nd, 2008, 02:40 AM
Thank you

After a bit of confusion with the Hex key and passphrases I got it working and am now on wireless.

All praises to you. :):popcorn:

melp57
July 2nd, 2008, 03:52 AM
Basically, you need to get the Windows drivers for your wireless card. If they come as a .zip or .exe file, you need to extract it and find the file within with the extension .inf. Copy the .inf file, as well as any files ending in .cat, .sys and .bin, to the Ubuntu system.

Then you do:

sudo ndisgtk

A GUI will pop up and ask you where the .inf file is. You find it, click ok, reboot and you should have a wireless connection.

Depending on your individual situation, however, it's not always as simple as this. You should read the community documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper) for a more complete guide to ndiswrapper.

Also remember that if your Ubuntu system is 64-bit, the Windows drivers that you load into ndiswrapper also need to be 64-bit. This is a common source of confusion and frustration.
this would work only if you have internet connection. I dont because my wireless card does not work......now what? :)

pytheas22
July 2nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
this would work only if you have internet connection. I dont because my wireless card does not work......now what?

Just a little extra work. Conveniently, the ndiswrapper packages come on the Ubuntu live CD. So make sure that your system is configured to use the live CD as a repository by going to System>Administration>Software Sources and checking the appropriate box under the "Installable from CD-ROM/DVD" section. Close the dialogue and agree to reload the sources list when you're prompted.

Then you can simply use apt-get to install ndiswrapper:

After that, install the Windows drivers for your card (which you should transfer to your Ubuntu computer using a USB driver or whatever you have available) with ndisgtk:

sudo ndisgtk

I wrote this quickly so if anything needs clarification please ask.

melp57
July 2nd, 2008, 04:08 AM
Just a little extra work. Conveniently, the ndiswrapper packages come on the Ubuntu live CD. So make sure that your system is configured to use the live CD as a repository by going to System>Administration>Software Sources and checking the appropriate box under the "Installable from CD-ROM/DVD" section. Close the dialogue and agree to reload the sources list when you're prompted.

Then you can simply use apt-get to install ndiswrapper:

After that, install the Windows drivers for your card (which you should transfer to your Ubuntu computer using a USB driver or whatever you have available) with ndisgtk:

sudo ndisgtk

I wrote this quickly so if anything needs clarification please ask.
Thanks for the reply, I will try and see if this works for me :)

rubing
July 13th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I am running 8.04 xubuntu and am having similar problems. It works out of the box intermittenly. If I use the windows drivers via ndiswrapper it is better, but is still problematic (frequent crashing)

pytheas22
July 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I am running 8.04 xubuntu and am having similar problems. It works out of the box intermittenly. If I use the windows drivers via ndiswrapper it is better, but is still problematic (frequent crashing)

The next time it crashes, please open a terminal (Applications>Accessories menu) and run the command:

dmesg

and please post the output here. Hopefully it will provide a clue as to why the crashes are occurring.

Do the rest of you in this thread who are using ndiswrapper have problems as well? I don't have this kind of wireless card myself.