PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] gnome desktop environment needs firefox3?

Zopiac
June 27th, 2008, 04:44 PM
i DILSIKE firefox, and want it gone. however, in synaptics, in order to remove firefox 3, gnome desktop envirenment must also be removed. why is this? i just want FIREFOX gone!

anderskitson
June 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Which package are you trying to uninstall? the only thing i get for additional required changes is firefox-3.0-gnome-support, which isnt gnome itself. What is going to replace firefox for you?

Zopiac
June 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Which package are you trying to uninstall? the only thing i get for additional required changes is firefox-3.0-gnome-support, which isnt gnome itself. What is going to replace firefox for you?

i am trying to uninstall firefox-3.0 (which autoselects others, including gnome desktop environment)

i use Opera, fully. there is nothing firefox has that opera doesnt have, that i like, other than being centered around a fox (fav animal).

Vivaldi Gloria
June 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
i am trying to uninstall firefox-3.0 (which autoselects others, including gnome desktop environment)

In a terminal write

sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.0

and press enter. It will also remove the packages

firefox
firefox-3.0-gnome-suport
firefox-gnome-suport
ubufox

Say yes to these. These are only support files, removing them will NOT remove gnome.

anderskitson
June 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
You must have another package selected, all I get in synaptic is this when trying to uninstall firefox-3.0
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8368367@N08/2615506733/sizes/o/
Which is exactly same as removing it in terminal

Zopiac
June 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
You must have another package selected, all I get in synaptic is this when trying to uninstall firefox-3.0
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8368367@N08/2615506733/sizes/o/
Which is exactly same as removing it in terminal

no, when i select uninstall for firefox-3.0, it sahows me all of the other things needed to be uninstalled (in synaptics), where gnome desktop environment is included

the terminal uninstall worked, though. thank you!