PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezing up

grey1
June 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Have ubuntu 8.04-desktop AMD 64 iso installed on my laptop which was downloaded from the ubuntu site. It has been working great till lately after downloading periodic upgrades. At odd times and very often the computer freezes up. It happens at any time without any kind of pattern. Very frustrating. Have tried several things that I have found here on the forum without success. Had to shut off and restart this computer 3 times just to get this message sent. HELP! :confused:

anderskitson
June 27th, 2008, 04:45 PM
what computer is it (specs), is there a specific reason you chose 64bit. I have had issues with certain programs and 64bit freezing more often than i386.

grey1
June 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
what computer is it (specs), is there a specific reason you chose 64bit. I have had issues with certain programs and 64bit freezing more often than i386.

The computer is a LC2464DC AMD 64 Athlon laptop from Linux Certified. When received two years ago, it had on it a 64 bit linux OS on it at that time. All worked great for about 6 months when started having problems, been nothing but problems since. Loaded 8.04 on it hoping to solve problems without any luck. Have i386 loaded on my desktop, which is an Athlon AMD, and have many of the same problems with freez up.

markbuntu
June 29th, 2008, 01:25 AM
After a few weeks of no freeze ups or crashes once I got firefox3 and flash10 and started using Opera9.50 more on my amd64 install. So I started using pulseadio again to get sound from multiple apps and now I get these random inexplicable hard freeze ups. No log entries, nothing, complete system lock on both my i386 and amd64 installs. It has to be pulseaudio because it is the only thing on both installs that I changed and they were both fine before.

grrrr....I am getting really fed up with this pulseaudio bugranch.

stalkier
June 29th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I got rid of FF3 and it seemed to cure my freeze ups but then a couple days ago I started having them again. Not sure why this happens but I have to shut off the PC and then restart.

anderskitson
June 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Now that i think about it ff3 has been giving me lots of problems to, especially audio. I think I will get flash working in opera and test that for a bit.

markbuntu
July 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM
Be sure to get flash 10. That solves a lot of problems with firefox and Opera.

I just figured out today that I have a faulty extension cord to my pc that has been creating intermittent momentary power glitches that cause the machine to lock up. It really looks just like a program crash/freeze because it is so fast the monitors don't blink or anything but the cpu just locks up. I have a little halogen desktop lamp and it started to blink once in a while, I thought it was the bulb connection.
lol...

anderskitson
July 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
How did you go about installing flash 10 in hardy, never mind I just found this
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/05/howto-install-flash-player-10-astro.html

grey1
August 13th, 2008, 05:03 PM
The computer is a LC2464DC AMD 64 Athlon laptop from Linux Certified. When received two years ago, it had on it a 64 bit linux OS on it at that time. All worked great for about 6 months when started having problems, been nothing but problems since. Loaded 8.04 on it hoping to solve problems without any luck. Have i386 loaded on my desktop, which is an Athlon AMD, and have many of the same problems with freez up.

Had i386 the desktop till 2 wks ago till I had to put Windows back on it, could not get anything done on it for all the freeze ups all the time. spent more time trying all the suggestions found on this site with no help, just reloading i386 it from the cd I down loaded from the Linux down load site, till I just started from the cd all the time and it froze 1/2 as much.

Now trying to use i386 on the lap instead of the 64 bit and having freeze ups all the time, with no set pattern. I don't want to give up, but getting to the end of the rope with this laptop too.

8-[ Any help ? ? ? ? ? 8-[