PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Clean install of Hardy Heron

rskay00
June 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Reading this forum I think maybe there should be one called "Absolute Beginner Talk-- No, Really absolute beginner talk." So please forgive the ignroance revealed by my question.

Last year I installed Edgy and took out Windows on an old PC (P486 maybe). I moved the PC and needed to connect it to a wireless network. I couldn't get the wireless adapter to work and Edgy being lost beyond redemption couldn't software to make it work.

I acquired an airlink 3026 adapter which some people say works "out of the box" with edgy and some people say doesn'. So ont he assumption that it won't work I've also downloaded and burned both the "Live" CD and the alternate of the last build. I have no data of any importance on the PC so (again based on what I can understand of what I read) I figure I might as well try a clean install.(With no internet connection going up step by step seems like a real hassle.)

OK. So which disc should I use in this situation. Since my goal is to get the airlink adapter to work is one or the other better? Are both these discs self-booting so I just insert the disc and wait for things to start happening. (Recall I have Edgy but no Windows on this unit)

Thank you! Rick

phidia
June 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
You don't need to install at all. Just select the "Try Ubuntu without making any changes .." boot option and see if your network device is supported.
That's what a livecd is for-testing!
You could search the networking & wireless section (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336) to see if others have got that device working and how.

bumanie
June 27th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Can't promise wireless will work, but if your 'old' computer has less thatn 384mb ram, you should probably drop back to 7.04 as it only needs 256mb ram to run. Both 7.10 and 8.04 need 384mb ram, according to the canonical website. Don't worry about asking 'simple' questions, we were all beginners once. If you don't understand what is posted to you, ask for a clarification and it will, in most cases, be gladly offered. Also.. Welcome to the forum.

rskay00
June 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Can't promise wireless will work, but if your 'old' computer has less thatn 384mb ram, you should probably drop back to 7.04 as it only needs 256mb ram to run.

Thanks. That's a very good idea since memory may be a problem (I'm away from the PC now). Do you have advice as to whether I'm better off with the live or the alternate version?