PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] where are downloading

bengar
June 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi
I did a download of dedsum, gisomount and isomd5sum, to verify the md5 sum of an iso, but, I don't know where was downloaded, could someone tell where?.
Thanks
bengar

kpkeerthi
June 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Run these commands

1. sudo updatedb
2. locate <file-name-to-search>

sharks
June 27th, 2008, 01:11 PM
may be in home folder.

lisati
June 27th, 2008, 01:13 PM
If you downloaded with Firefox, you can click on Tools->Downloads from within Firefox. This will open a download window, which usually tells you at the bottom of the window where it sends the downloads.

manishtech
June 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Hi
I did a download of dedsum, gisomount and isomd5sum, to verify the md5 sum of an iso, but, I don't know where was downloaded, could someone tell where?.
Thanks
bengar
You downloaded and installed it from the repos using apt-get/synaptic?

Or you downloaded it through firefox or any browser as lisati asked?

bengar
June 28th, 2008, 05:43 AM
You downloaded and installed it from the repos using apt-get/synaptic?

Or you downloaded it through firefox or any browser as lisati asked?

Yeap using the synaptic. Let me check again and I will tell us if i found something.

bengar
June 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Run these commands

1. sudo updatedb
2. locate <file-name-to-search>

I used it, but ask me about the root password, I can;t login the terminal display
Authentication failure Let me resolve this issue first, to see then if it work for me.

manishtech
June 28th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Yeap using the synaptic. Let me check again and I will tell us if i found something.
If you download download it using Synaptic then it goes to /var/apt/cache/archives/ all the packages which are downloaded are cached here.

bengar
June 28th, 2008, 04:41 PM
If you download download it using Synaptic then it goes to /var/apt/cache/archives/ all the packages which are downloaded are cached here.

Great, I found it, thank you very much manishtech, I have a lot of applications that I did downloaded and was there. But after reinstall the package and don't see on the applications menu the icon of the application.

oldos2er
June 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
If these are CLI programs, there will be no menu entry for them. Just type the program name in a terminal.

When you enter your password in a terminal, nothing is echoed back to the screen. This is normal. Just type it in and hit Enter.

dizee
June 29th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hi
Thanks
bengar
did you know that you can check md5sums through the terminal?

md5sum isofile.iso

manishtech
June 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Great, I found it, thank you very much manishtech, I have a lot of applications that I did downloaded and was there. But after reinstall the package and don't see on the applications menu the icon of the application.
If you installed these command line programs/apps then use them through Terminal.
If you don't know the exact name, then type some few characters and press Tab button, it will auto-complete.
If fit doesn't auto-complete, then it means the no of matches are more than one or none. In this case, press Tab button twice in quick succession.
Try to type isomd and press tab, the suggestions will be listed,if none, then try twice Tab.

As an example you can try to type ls and press tab twice, you can see many suggestions like ls,lspci,lsusb and more

crtlbreak
June 30th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Good Day bengar
I think you are trying to look for some shortcuts in your menu - as in the MS environment.
Most registered programs will create their own - although shortcuts in the desktop menu is only recently starting to show in development. The traditional way to start a program in Linux is to type <firefox> or <gaim> at the command prompt to launch it - without the brackets.
You can create your own shortcuts in your menus with
with sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/application_name and save the content within the shortcut as follows

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Application_Name
Comment=Application Name Text Label
Exec=application
Icon=/path/to/icon.xpm
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Applications;Network

Then save the gedit content - Presto - you should have created your own shortcut. Let me know if this helps

bengar
July 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM
Thank you very much to all, now I learned some else about Ubuntu Linux, let me try making the necessary in the terminal to see what happened. I think that all these suggestion will resolved the problem.