PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Changing ip address

nothingspecial
June 27th, 2008, 12:34 PM
If I unplug a wireless device from my router and plug a laptop in to the same hole, will the laptop`s ip address become the ip address of the wireless device, remain the same or be completely different?
Thanks

patrickaupperle
June 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Completely different, I think.

hyper_ch
June 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
depends on how you setup your networks and clients.

wormser
June 27th, 2008, 12:38 PM
It depends on the router. Usually the router assigns the DHCP address to a MAC address for the duration of the lease. So, different MAC address equals different IP numbers. What are you trying to do?

nothingspecial
June 27th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I`m trying to install Gutsy using http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html

I`ve got to the point in the install where it asks me to choose a mirror but none of them work.
It`s occured to me that as the wireless on the laptop doesn`t work out of the box in Gutsy this might be the problem.
But I`ve already entered my ip address in the install process and wondered weather I would have to start the install again.

lisati
June 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM
It depends on the router. Usually the router assigns the DHCP address to a MAC address for the duration of the lease. So, different MAC address equals different IP numbers. What are you trying to do?

I don't know if this will be of help to the OP, but here goes:

The router I use (a Netgear WGR614v7) can be set to assign a fixed IP address to a particular MAC address. Different machines have different MAC addresses, even if they have the exact same model hardware. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that the wired connection usually has a different MAC address to the wireless card.

nothingspecial
June 27th, 2008, 01:00 PM
It`s changed my ip address. No problem, I`ll start again.
Thanks all.