PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] saving mail with attachment

appusaran
June 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hi...
Can somebody help...This is with reference to a mail which has a text message and also an attachment.

The problem is:
1. when the mail is saved (Evolution is used) it doesn't copy along with the attachment.
2. The text message which only gets copied has some unwanted lines (like: return path, return receipt to, received details amounting to a full page along the content of the exact text message)

Note: I do not want to copy the text message separately and attachment separately.

My requirement is:

1. To copy the mail along with the attachment and transfer it to another machine which works on MS office outlook.

schwascore
July 18th, 2008, 06:07 PM
When you use the "Save As" feature in Evolution (and almost all other email clients), the entire message (including any/all attachments and all headers) is exported into a text file. The attachments show up as what looks like random gibberish near the end of the text file. It is assumed that the user is then going to import the text file into a different email client. Once the text file has been imported properly, the attachment will be visible in the client once again. All of the headers must be included in order to make sure the message is readable by other clients.

It seems as though you are making this harder on yourself than it should be. Why don't you just forward the e-mail to the address of the user who is on the Outlook account?

Another solution would be to simply cut and paste the parts of the message you want to send over to a text file and download the attachment separately, although importing the entire message would be simpler.

If any of this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

appusaran
August 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Hi...
Sorry was out for a month.
Thanks for the reply

1.The simpler solution is not viable because the machine in which the data is to be transferred is not connected to the internet. so the only option option is to copy / paste thro pen drive.

2. Right now im actually doing copy/ paste of the text and the attachment separately.But as i said my requirement is that i want it together.

2. The garbage data exists even after exporting the file to the other machine..and the attachment is not redeemed as u have said.

So im still looking for the solution.