PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot connect to WPA2 wifi network

PartisanEntity
June 27th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I have been trying to research if the problem I am having is based on any known issue, but have not found anything so far, hence I am posting this here.

Our institute has a WPA2 encrypted wifi network which I can connect to without problems from OSX Leopard. But when I switch to Ubuntu on the same machine (a macbook) I cannot connect to the WPA2 network. Network manager tries to connect and then gives up.

The network admin said it should work.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Does network manager not like WPA2? Is there a special way to connect to WPA2 networks in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

jay019
June 27th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Install WICD. Makes WPA2 connection simple.

PartisanEntity
June 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the tip, does WICD remove network manager ?

jay019
June 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
No, network manager is still on my laptop, it just never gets used now.
I havent bothered trying to remove it as I'm not sure what depends on it.

WICD also handles wired networks which is cool, no more using multiple apps for similar tasks.

Also found a cool tip on the wicd site (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/) that I wasnt aware of. It has a handy tray app.
I am using the version from the Ubuntu repos, but you can add the wicd repo and get the latest version.

In GNOME, to get the tray icon to automatically appear at boot, go to System > Preferences > Sessions. In the "Startup Programs" tab, click the "New" button. Give it a name ("Wicd" works fine). For the command, enter "/opt/wicd/tray.py".

ninjapenguin
June 27th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tip, does WICD remove network manager ?

When I installed WICD it forced me to remove network manager . . .

PartisanEntity
June 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM

My brother reported the same thing happening, which is why I am a little reluctant to install WICD. Any other experiences ?

ninjapenguin
June 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM
My brother reported the same thing happening, which is why I am a little reluctant to install WICD. Any other experiences ?

Also, I tried using WICD to get my encrypted wifi on my iMac to work, and so far no luck, but this weekend I am going to try to use multiple drivers.

jay019
June 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Would it really matter? With WICD you dont need network manager. It can be set up to automatically connect to a network so roaming is seamless and requires no intervention once you make WICD aware of the details of the networks the first time. But hey its up to you. There are ways to use network manager to connect to WPA2 but they are mostly convoluted workarounds for an app that is so far behind its not worth having.

jay019
June 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Just had a look and yeah, Network Manager is no longer installed. But seriously, if NM cant manage WPA2 then whats the point of having it installed? What's so special about it?

PartisanEntity
June 29th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Well what I am interested to know at this point, is whether NM is the reason I cannot connect to WPA2? Is this a known issue with NM, or does it have something to do with the wifi network setup at the institute?

As I said, I tried researching whether NM has issues with WPA2, but have not found anything yet.

jay019
June 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Well what I am interested to know at this point, is whether NM is the reason I cannot connect to WPA2? Is this a known issue with NM, or does it have something to do with the wifi network setup at the institute?

As I said, I tried researching whether NM has issues with WPA2, but have not found anything yet.

I guess its not so much that it has issues with it as much as it is not easy to use. With wicd you plug in the details and hit connect. You are online quicker than firefox can load up. With network manager from what i remeber you had to edit config files and roaming was a nightmare. Maybe things have changed? I am still using 7.04 but most people I know with ubuntu swear by wicd for being so easy to use.

As for nm, here are some links that may or may not help...
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-442897.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834

Let us know how you get on.

PartisanEntity
June 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Things have definately changed from when you used NM last, it too is just a matter of entering data in to the window.