PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-installing method.

pudding
June 27th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Hi,

I installed Kubuntu, and want to switch to Ubuntu. I installed Kubuntu on an empty second hard disk, with WinXP on the primary, and would like to remove that and put Ubuntu on the secondary instead. Do I need to uninstall Kubuntu, or can I simply put the Ubuntu CD in and format and install and the GRUB loaded will change from offering Kubuntu to Ubuntu? Dont want to just reinstall then mess up the GRUB menu etc..

Thanks for any help.

iaculallad
June 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
On your terminal:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

nothingspecial
June 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM

will give you the option of logging into Ubuntu or Kubuntu:)

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I installed Kubuntu, and want to switch to Ubuntu. I installed Kubuntu on an empty second hard disk, with WinXP on the primary, and would like to remove that and put Ubuntu on the secondary instead. Do I need to uninstall Kubuntu, or can I simply put the Ubuntu CD in and format and install and the GRUB loaded will change from offering Kubuntu to Ubuntu? Dont want to just reinstall then mess up the GRUB menu etc..

Thanks for any help.

You do not need to make a new install at all. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same operating system, the only difference is the desktop environment and default applications included on the install disk.

To get Uubuntu desktop just install theb "kubuntu-desktop"-package with Synaptic, or run the following command:

Youc an select which desktop environment you want to use at the login screen, and later on you can uninstall ubuntu-desktop & it's programs if you feel like that.

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 09:50 AM
will give you the option of logging into Ubuntu or Kubuntuand an extremely full menu once you have both installed :)

If you do want to just go for the ubuntu install - do as before and use the manual partition method, then choose the existing partition to install to.

pudding
June 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Ok thanks for the replies. Im not connected to the net as I didnt get my wireless card to work in Kubuntu. Will that command from the terminal work?

mcduck
June 27th, 2008, 10:16 AM
No, sorry, it wont. You need to be connected to internet, otherwise the package management will have quite a hard time trying to download the packages from Ubuntu's servers.. ;)

In that case you have no othe roptions than to do a full new install with the other disk.

Archmage
June 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
As far as I know you could use the alternate Ubuntu-CD as an additional source for packages and this way install ubuntu on your kubuntu.