PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with connecting to internet with windows bridge

DigitalHighlander
June 27th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Ok, I know a bit about linux in general, used Fedora, SUSE, and now Ubuntu Hardy Heron... my issue is this... I connect to the internet through my laptop's WiFi to a router connected to cable ISP. The laptop runs Vista, and I have a network bridge setup to supply internet access to my other devices (XBOX 360 and the Ubuntu box) so... heres the issue. I can ping the laptop, and the ubuntu box and they can both see the "Gateway" router (The one connected to the internet), but I cannot get the ubuntu box on the net. the system is connected like this:

Internet-----Laptop via WiFi-----router---- Ubuntu

I am using a router but only the 4 internal ports. basically a hub with DCHP. I assumed that since I could ping all respective ssytems from the ubuntu box, it would go on the net, but no such luck.
I tried ICS with the windows box.... didn't work, and the XBOX didn't have access to laptop's files anymore. This setup had worked previously when I had SUSE, but I didn't like SUSE very much. Any help is greatly appreciated.

superprash2003
June 27th, 2008, 12:28 PM
are you able to ping your router in ubuntu? also type ping google.com in the terminal and post output here

SubCool
July 6th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I have been dieing to know the answer to this. I have been doing the same thing. I switched it up recently because of hardware failure. but i am
Internet -- XP -- Hub or Router -- Ubuntu

I have gone to a static network, but Dhcp is a click away.
Same issue, i can ping the gateway, but no internet. I had to open up my firwall to get most of that to work. But its like its not forward the DNS information. I ahvent pinged an IP out of the network yet tho. Guess i should.